Forgot your password?

Intel X99 2011-v3 Build

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I need to update a really big change here, and I blame Bill entirely for this. ;D I'll preface this by saying I signed up for 3 months of Newegg Premier, which prioritizes my orders and allows free shipping returns without restocking fees.

I will continue the first build as planned, but with a slight modification. I am returning one set of DDR3 RAM, and I'm downgrading the CPU to an Intel i5-4690K (currently on sale for $240). The motherboard for the build will be the ASUS A97-PRO/USB 3.1 WiFi. I will make all this happen within the next couple days as time allows, and I'll throw the build together using my current GTX 560 GPU card. This build will go to my wife, who has very modest computing needs. I will hopefully have the build completed by the end of next week, as time allows.

The big news is that the second build will be a Z99 powerhouse. I'm going with the ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 WiFi ($325), Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core ($390), and HyperX Fury 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2133 RAM ($300). I will almost certainly finish this build with a GTX 960 GPU card ($240), as on board graphics is not an option with this build. My hope is to have this system completed around mid-August.

FYI: I will consider the i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core ($580) as a possibility, depending on bang for buck. The big advantage is 40 lanes vs. 28 lanes for the i7-5820K.

I don't have time to link everything, but I'll create a new thread for the X99 build.

Scuzzy; all Bill's fault. Really.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, yes, I take full responsibility, mia culpa.  But what a powerhouse you will wind up with.  Might have to wait for storage but the good news is I have seen an example of this build running Win 7.   But then the SATA possibility exists until a fully compatible PCIE 3x4 or better is available.   

I just compared the 850 Pro with the Plextor 128 g M3 Pro and both are almost identical in random reads and writes .  Probably wouldn't make much sense for me to upgrade to the 850 Pro at the moment.  Just random errata.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Better look twice at the board.  If I'm reading the specs. correctly I don't see any standard video connectors on the rear panel, just one digital  S/PDIF optical out. Lots of USB ports but I didn't see HDMI, or DVI, certainly no analog.  Do monitors now come with USB inputs?

The other issue with this board is that SATA SSDs are not supported, only PCIe.
This X99 ASRock X99E-ITX/ac board supports both M.2  SATA and PCIe.

Not to further complicate your decision......
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I have not had time to closely look at the board, but my understanding is that the new Intel CPU does not support onboard graphics.

The ASRock board you mentioned looks sweet, but it's a Mini-ITX.

As far as the ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 is concerned, it has 8 each SATA connectors on the board. Here's from the specs:

8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s) *4
4* Due to chipset behavior, The SATA6G_78, SATA6G_910 ports (black) do not support IRST including RAID configuration.

Edit: I didn't check the M.2 specs, but maybe you are referring to the M.2 not having SATA support?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

In all honesty, I sort of skimmed the graphics  portion of the ASUS X99 specs and the absence of onboard graphics just didn't sink in.  I was more interested in the M.2 treatment.
But like the Z97 ASUS the X99 only supports PCIE, not the SATA SSD which puts us back to hunting for or waiting for a PCIE 3.4 drive.  Or as you seemed to indicate, using the Samsung 850 Pro as an interim O/S drive until....  If that turns out to be the plan, for now, the fact that the ASRock X99 offers support for the M.2 SATA is irrelevant, I think.  I will look at the proper ASRock board you linked just for giggles.

Edit: The ASRock reviews seem pretty split but mostly around OCing which is of no interest to you, or me.  But the ASRock customer service responses didn't sound very encouraging.  The fact that the OCing tuning software is shoddy and the BIOS are not great, suggests  your comment earlier that ASUS is more 'polished'  is probably correct.
If this were me, I think I'd stick to ASUS.

Edit:  I've reviewed 9 pages of i7 5820k comments and, of those that mentioned M/B s, ASUS was about 3 to 1 over ASRock.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

For this build, I would prefer a GPU card anyway. If I'm going all out, I may as well go all out. I also have a spare GTX 465 sitting around with nothing to do and no place to go. I can always use that card to hold me over until I get a GTX 960, if necessary.

Since I purchased the Samsung 850 Pro, I'm in no hurry on getting an M.2 drive. Once I do, my preference will be for a PCIe NVMe model. I will likely hold out a year or more until some retail options are available, and hopefully at more agreeable prices. Until that time I'm hoping the 850 Pro will perform like a champ.

On the motherboard, I still have to closely look at both. I skimmed several tech reviews on the ASRock X99 Extreme6 last night, and the consensus is consistently favorable. I saw some less than favorable user reviews, but I tend not to give them too much weight, especially if it's only a hand full of reviewers. Besides, some of those people come across as freaking idiots to me. What I like about the ASUS X99-Pro is the built-in USB 3.1 & WiFi on a single board. ASRock makes me pick one or the other, and the USB 3.1 is provided via PCIe card.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Bill. ;D Sometimes that's what I need. No, I do not need 32GB of RAM. I went back and adjusted my previous poast to 2 sticks of 8GB, which dropped the price of the build by $150. That brings the total of both builds combined to approximately $2,500, which is my original budget for 2 builds.

Scuzzy; I think this is going to work.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

We were cross poasting I guess.  After I noticed the ram reduction in your to buy list, I deleted my recommendation for less ram, but after you saw it obviously.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So I am going to have to make some painful changes... and it is entirely my fault.

Partly due to being in a hurry with my work week, I did not scrutinize the Newegg return policy on CPUs. It seems Intel CPUs cannot be returned for a refund. The problem is that I bought the i5-4690K (while it was still on sale) before I attempted the RMA on the i7. Today I setup the RMA for the RAM, and it went well. But I learned that I cannot RMA the i7-4790K CPU. So now I have an i5 en route, and the i7-4790K on hand.

I am pretty much stuck with my choices. I'm not angry or frustrated, and I take full responsibility. I only wish I had paid better attention. Reality is that I can still put together a very sweet, powerful Z97 system using the i7-4790K, and that is exactly what I am going to do. Going forward I will build my wife's computer as planned using the i5-4690K CPU. I will likely copy her system for the i7 CPU with the remaining hardware, with possible minor differences (if any).

So this is effective the end of my attempt to put an X99 system together, at least for the foreseeable future. On the positive side, I will save quite a bit by staying with a Z97 build.

Scuzzy; enjoying the lemonade I made for myself.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Ah well, the best laid plans..........  The Z97, as specified, will still be a screamer.  You really didn't need the X99, 6 core CPU anyway, did you.  You're getting the same graphics card, you could become a gamer!

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I should try some gaming. Ace was always trying to talk me into it.

I'm almost getting the same card as my wife. Her GPU will be the 2GB super clocked model. Mine will be the 4GB super clocked. Reality is that I would have purchased a pair of the 2GB models since they are on sale, and include a free $20 EVGA backplate (to help dissipate heat) with the special. But I temporarily ran out of funds.  ;D

The special will be over by the time I order the 2nd GPU, so I may as well go with the 4GB model that includes the backplate. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch that one on sale.

Scuzzy; decimated my wallet.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Don't do it! Gaming will ruin your life, It's additive, like buying new guns (for me).

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop