Forgot your password?

Plextor M5S 128GB SSD

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I liked the Plextor M3 so much, which I recently installed in my main system, that I decided to buy the Plextor M5S 128GB SSD for a secondary system. At the time of purchase, it was $89.99; today it's at $84.99  ::) . A Silverstone SSD bay adapter added $11.65 to the cost. I placed the order last night and I don't expect to see it until next Tuesday.

The secondary system is a SATA 2, so the M5S should work perfectly. It only has a 3-year warranty compared to the M3's 5-year, but that's not a concern. The performance between the two is similar and should not make a difference installed in a SATA 2 system.

As always, I will start with a fresh, clean installation of Windows (version 7 64-bit in this case). The old system is working quite well, but I cannot get myself to image the system over to the new SSD. The SSD will replace an aging (and somewhat noisy) WD Raptor 74GB drive.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Why the Siverstone?  My Plextor came with an adapter, didn't your first one?  I do see that the Silverstone will take 2 drives, is that the intent?

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

My M3 did indeed come with an adapter. No so with the M5S, necessitating an additional purchase.

I opted for the Silverstone, mostly for its good ratings and ability to mount 2 drives. I have a 2.5" SATA 1 HDD hanging around that I may use as a secondary drive for the system.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The new Plextor M5S 128GB SSD arrived last Tuesday night, and I started on the installation the following day.

The new SSD replaced an aging and noisy Western Digital 74GB Raptor HDD. The system is now nice and quiet in comparison. I completed a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit, to replace the previous 32-bit version. During the installation of Windows, I divided the SSD into two equal partitions. The WD HDD was completely removed, and I did not bother with a secondary HDD of any type. I'll be using the network for file storage, so I didn't have a need to increase local storage in the computer.

All went well, including getting all the needed updates. SP1 is installed, as well as IE9 (which I'll rarely use). I also downloaded and installed the latest NVIDIA driver for the aging GeForce 7600GT, along with MS Security Essentials (MSE) and CCleaner. Of course, I knocked out a few tweaks while I was at it. The "new" setup is nice and fast. The boot up is much faster than previous.

I remain amazed at what an incredible difference in performance it is to upgrade from HHD to SSD. No doubt that a clean installation of Windows helps, but the system feels like a fresh computer build. The increase in performance is quite noticeable.

I'm done for the night and I will image the new setup first thing in the morning. Right now I need some zzz's.  :P

If you've been holding back on upgrading your boot drive to SSD, you just don't know what you're missing.

Scuzzy; wow.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Glad to hear you're equally impressed with the M5.  There is no doubt that an SSD is waaay faster and probably more durable than any HDD anywhere.  It's just too bad it's taken so long for the prices to come down.  But now that they are, the
adoption rate should go way up.

B
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit