Date: 28 March 24, 08:11 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Pixel 3 and xl

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yesterday I stopped in the Verizon store to look at phones.  I was very surprised at the new dimensions.  Almost everything I looked at seemed very tall and narrow.  The large Pixel is about the size of my Moto Z, the regular Pixel is noticeably smaller while the screen is about the same.
The back of the Pixel is Gorilla Glass but there have been a couple of reports about the back shattering when bumped. 
The Pixel 3 was released on 10/18 and Verizon at the moment is offering a BOGO.  Why is a bit of a puzzle.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Most new phones have adopted the 2:1 (or greater) ratio screens. It's the same with my Note 9. For better or for worse, you tend to get used to it.

I've heard of multiple complaints that the Pixel's back scratches very easily.

I don't know if it will be a choice with Verizon, but you may consider the OnePlus 6T. Rumor is that T-Mobile will carry it. It's release date will be confirmed by the manufacturer on Oct 29th, but it should be available sometime in mid-November.

I'm waiting to see if T-Mobile will carry it as an option for my FIL.

EDIT: This just in... The OnePlus 6T will be certified to work Verizon

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

In the article you linked to, half-way down, T-Mo is going to carry the phone.  I have not heard of the brand that I recall.
The One Plus 6T has a much bigger battery. Thanks for that, I may try to find one.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

A OnePlus partnership with T-Mobile has not been confirmed yet. It seems very likely as the 6T is one of the few smartphones that will connect to T-Mobile's new and rapidly growing 600MHz spectrum, but it's not official yet. Hopefully we'll know for sure by Monday next week, but rumors are that the T-Mobile launch could be delayed past the global version release.

The OnePlus has been making lots of headway since its OnePlus One debut a few short years ago. Their handsets rival the top-tier makers in specs and quality, but at a greatly reduced price. I believe the 6T is expected to sell for approximately $500.

If the 6T does in fact become available in T-Mobile stores, at least you'll be able to poke at one before purchasing.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That's true and it crossed my mind.  I also looked on line at the Galaxy 9+ but that one is pretty pricey.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I got my wife's Galaxy S9 through T-Mobile for about $800. However, I purchased it through the payment plan. I put around $40 down (+tax), and then I pay $15 a month for 24 months. T-Mobile matches my monthly payment. So the total I pay ends up being $400. But if I pay it off early, then I have to pay 100% of the remaining balance.

I didn't like the idea of making monthly payments, but thought it was worth it to save $400. I did the same with my Note 9 to save $500. It's not too bad considering I have 4 unlimited lines on which I'm paying a grand total of less than $125 monthly. My oldest is on Verizon and she pays over $300 monthly for 4 lines.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Sounding better all the time..........

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, interesting that it's VZ certified but VZW won't be selling it.  But I will go poke at it maybe Friday or Saturday.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Quote:

"...In real world tests, however, the OnePlus 6T managed to hit ridiculously impressive screen-on times of up to 8 hours.

...As David himself says, “This is probably the best battery life I’ve ever seen in an Android smartphone, proving that battery capacity doesn’t tell the whole story.”"

More here: Here are our Top 6 OnePlus 6T features

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, sounding more positive all the time.

I haven't seen any information about where or how to buy to use on VZ.  I would think that the T-Mo version is unique to T-Mo.  Is this an online only deal?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

You'll be able to buy it beginning tomorrow directly from OnePlus. Once you have it in hand you take it to Verizon to activate on their network. You may want to check with them first. The one sold in T-Mobile stores will almost certainly work on Verizon as well, but I doubt they'll sell you one unless you activate it on T-Mobile.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thank you, I think talking to VZ first is a good idea.  I have slightly more than a month on my current contract.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

According to phone arena: "if you can live with the cited 19Mbps downloads on Verizon vs 78Mbps on T-Mobile...."
This not attractive at all.  This may kill the deal......regardless of price.

www.phonearena.com/news/Unlocked-One-Plus-6T-activation-Verizon-T-Mobile-LTE-bands-support_id110592

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Wow. That's a big speed difference. That's my first time hearing that.

On the flip side, I doubt I've ever gotten more than 20MB speeds from my Note 9 on T-Mobile. I don't have a particularly high speed connection around my home. A quick check is showing 3.8 Mbps/554 Kbps from within my office. I'll test it again next time I'm in a strong 4g signal area.

BTW: I recommend the awesome and free speed-check app Meteor Speed Tester (no ads)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

My Moto Droid Z with wifi gets 50 up and down, same as my computer.
I am back looking at phones and the LG G7 seems to have the best reviews on the VZ site.  The main complaint with the Galaxy 9+ is that it's complicated.and pricy.  The google Pixel 3 xl is not much different than the Pixel 2xl except in price and a minor improvement in the battery.

What didn't you like about LG?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Dumb question, but is the Wi-Fi on on your smartphone? If it is, you're actually measuring your home's Wi-Fi.

My first smartphone was the Nexus 5, made by LG. I had it less than a week and returned it. It felt cheap and crappy. I went to a Moto X after. I did look at LG phones on the last round, but Samsung clearly made better phones. At least in my opinion. I also don't care for LG's software. My preference is stock Android, but at least Samsung's is polished and tolerable.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Aside from Phone Arena, I'm not finding any other articles that report slower download speeds on Verizon with the 6T. Quite the opposite, though.

This from Mashable.com:

"With Verizon SIM cards in the OnePlus 6T, iPhone XR, and iPhone XS, I tested their LTE download and upload speeds using Ookla’s Speedtest app (disclosure: Mashable parent company Ziff Davis also owns Ookla) and just as I saw when I pitted the OnePlus 6 versus iPhone X, the 6T came out on top.

Using the same server connection, the OnePlus 6T managed to pull down 121 Mbps downloads and 11.8 Mbps uploads. Meanwhile, the iPhone XR had a respectable 86.6 Mbps for downloads and 4.5 Mbps for uploads. The worst-preforming was my iPhone XS, which despite multiple tests only mustered a high of 68.5 Mbps for downloads and 2.84 Mbps for uploads within the 10-minute span of tests I performed on all three phones."

The article is here: OnePlus 6T Review...

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, that review put the 6T back in the running, maybe even 1st in the running.   I wonder how Phone Arena's results were so different.

I discovered there is a difference between the T-Mo version and the one sold by OnePlus.  The T-Mo edition has one sim slot, the other version has 2
sim slots.

Do you think the extra 2gigs of RAM ( six to eight) will be noticeable? There is only a $30 difference in price.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I would think you're not likely to notice the difference unless you're a power user with your phone. My Note 9 has 6GB of RAM and it's pretty fast as is.

FYI: I went into town earlier where the T-Mo signal is stronger. My best download on my Note 9 was 58.9 Mbps, and my best upload was 16.0 Mbps. That pretty much smokes my fixed wireless internet at home.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Ok thanks for the memory comment.

I went to T-Mo store in town (not the busiest place in town, they hadn't unpacked their display phone) and looked at the 6T.  Nice looking with odd dimensions.  It's about .25" taller and .25" narrower than my Moto Droid.  But oddly enough it felt pretty good in my hand.  It had Android 9 and while it looked a little different, it didn't seem any faster. The T-Mo version comes with a plastic cover that protects the sides and back, no screen protection, although they are recommended.

Then I stopped at Vz.  No one there knew anything about the 6T and had to verify that it is Vz certified.  I have a feeling that until Vz decides to sell the 6T I will be completely on my own with/for technology issues which is a little uncomfortable. 
I did find out I have 3 billing cycles to go on my contract, but I could pay off my Droid ($65) and switch tomorrow if I chose.  After my phone is paid, my Vz bill will drop to $59+/- which will eventually pay for the new OnePlus.