Date: 20 April 24, 07:04 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

"Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" Problem

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I'm just now recovering from a week of Internet downtime after Internet Explorer suddenly stopped working for me.

I spent 3.5 hours on the phone speaking with four different accent-impaired AT&T Support reps seeking an answer to my "IE Has Stopped Working" problem. Each rep started by saying they were sure they had the know-how and resources needed to fix my problem.

Eventually the fourth rep said there was no problem with my computer or with AT@T's service, the problem was a corrupted IE11 browser on my computer. He said he was going to switch me to a "not for free" service who would have the know-how and resources to fix my problem (Ha!). I said "no-thanks" and decided to give the matter some further thought.

I could see that not having a backup browser on one's computer is a mistake, because without it I could not bypass IE11 or seek help on the internet. 

Eventually I had a friend go to the GoogleChrome web site on his computer and download a movable copy of GoogleChrome onto a flash drive. Plugging that flash drive into my computer allowed me to install the GoogleChrome browser on my computer. 

Then I installed Mozilla FireFox as a backup, and later uninstalled IE11 permanently (there's lots of chatter on the web that IE11  frequently misbehaves).

I hope this account will help those who may sometime face the same or similar problem.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and a lesson hard earned. On the positive side you're making good choices going forward, beginning with dumping IE. Good for you. I go out of my way to avoid IE, unless I have absolutely no other choice.

I'm glad you got things resolved.