Forgot your password?

Windows 10 Irritations

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Microsoft does not cease to amaze me with how determined they are to screw over customers with Windows 10.

With any previous version of Windows, I have been able to set and forget my default program preferences. If I chose Firefox as my default in Windows 7, I set it once and never had to worry about it again. Not so much with Windows 10. Since my initial installation of Windows 10 well over a year ago, it has taken over all of my default program settings twice. This is on both of my computers, after a lot of trouble to set everything the way I want.

Yesterday I had to use MS Edge to access work related stuff. I avoid Edge and IE to the very best of my ability, but sometimes I simply have no choice. Apparently MS took this as a clue that I want Edge to become my default browser. It didn't ask in any manner; the change was simply made without my knowledge. I just had to reset my browser preference, which is less than intuitive in Win10.

After resetting my preference, I went back into MS Edge. At the bottom it was asking if I wanted to keep Edge as my default browser. I looked for the "F U" button, but had to settle for the "No" button instead (yes, it was that frustrating). That still wasn't good enough for MS Edge, which then started pestering me with "Are you sure? Edge is the best browser in the history of ever and we're sure if you'll just try it you'll drop to your knees and worship us." I again started searching for the "F U" button.

I don't understand Microsoft. It's as if they are purposely working hard to ensure that I despise them to no end.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

This sounds like another verse of a very long lament.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Windows 10 continues to give me reasons to despise it more than ever.

I was running Sumatra PDF 32-bit on my computer, which sometime back Windows 10 hijacked and switched the default to Edge browser. After some effort I switched the default back to Sumatra. Today I uninstalled the 32-bit version of Sumatra to replace it with the 64-bit version. Again, Windows 10 took this as an opportunity to change the default back to Edge. Windows 10 did not ask or suggest the change, it simply forced it on me. It again took some effort and determination on my part to set Sumatra as my default.

What the hell is wrong with Microsoft?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think Microsoft has the 'Obama complex', "I'm smarter than the whole world and I'll prove it."
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit