Author Topic: I'm New at Using Gmail - Need Help  (Read 144 times)

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
I'm New at Using Gmail - Need Help
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:05 PM »
When I select History I see all my recent internet connections, but how do I return to a recent connection ?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: I'm New at Using Gmail - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Hi, When I look at Gmail I don't see a "History" tab or button.  The only History option I see is in my Browsers. For the most recent connections or web pages I use the left facing arrow at the top of the browser, both in FireFox and Chrome.  I'm not sure I really understand your question.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:19 AM »
I'm not understanding your question as well. Are you on your computer or on a smartphone?

Where are you finding "History" in gmail?

I also don't understand what you mean by returning to a recent connection.

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Hello Bill and Scuzzy

When I'm using Gmail on my PC, I can click on the "three dots in a vertical row" at upper right corner of page, click on History, click again on History and there will then be displayed a list of all my most recent web site visits.

But, I see no way to revisit any of those web sites, as I've always been able to do in Yahoo mail.

Comprende amigos?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Now I'm really confused.  The only dots I see are horizontal on the right end of the address box.  When I roll my mouse over the line of dots there are two down arrows on either side of that row of dots.  Clicking on the left arrow produces a list of web pages where I've been with that browser and at the end of the web page name is a link to that page.  But the address address box is part of FireFox not Gmail.

If I use Chrome  the three dots in the upper right corner are for settings within Chrome.  Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing, maybe that would help us understand.  I am puzzled..........
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Attach is what I'm seeing
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2018, 05:46 PM by scuzzy »

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I am sorry, but the image you provided isn't helping me in figuring out what is going on. You're referring to the history in gmail, but you put up an image of Poasters. I really want to help you out, but I'm simply not understanding what the problem is.

I'm guessing you're using Chrome? Is the problem with the history in Chrome? I have never seen gmail provide an option for history, and I do not see anything in my gmail account that even hints toward history.

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:29 PM »
The image I sent is what I see using Gmail. In upper right corner you can see the three dots that I click on to bring up a History button.
Then when I click on that I get a long list of my recently visited web sites.

Yes I'm using Chrome.

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:36 PM »
I just realized that on any Chrome page (not just Gmail) I'm seeing the same way to go to History. 

The visited list has a small square alongside each entry, but checking square or not makes no difference----I cannot revisit prior web sites.   I'm sure I used to be able to that.  Something has changed.

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:03 PM »
I do not have Chrome installed on my computer, so I don't think I'll be much help on this. Hopefully Bill can provide some insight.

Offline hoosier

• Poaster
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:07 PM »
I reinstalled Google Chrome.  Now History access is back to normal.  Since I had only recently begun using Gmail, I thought this problem was with Gmail, but I guess not.  Thanks for your replies, sorry if I was not explaining things very well.

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:33 PM »
I'm glad it worked out. Good work on your part resolving the problem.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:33 AM »
yes, nicely done.