Date: 29 March 24, 02:07 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

transfering data to new laptop without internal cd rom

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I'm getting my very significant other the Lenovo Yoga in Clementine for her birthday. She has an old black & white compaq clunker she's been using for years. It's slower than a sloth in hibernation and twice as heavy. When it dies I plan to use it as a boat anchor. I went over to BB and played with their 3-lb yoga on display. With the ssd it's lightning fast with a dazzling screen. I'll have to give it to microsoft, the customizable win 8 screen is the prettiest thing they've ever come up with and the hd yoga shows it off well. The experience will be like going from a Model T Ford to the Shuttle rocket.

To make it lighter and more compact these ultras don't have a cd rom. The externals are relatively cheap and good and will go that route if necessary. However, I was wondering if I can use the cd rom on hers or my newer Lenovo z565 to transfer data by connecting the yoga to the laptop. I have already read you can transfer things like documents and photos to the new laptop via cable but I want to also transfer and install software such as Word 2003 which is on a cd. Is this possible? Thanks for your input. She will appreciate it.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Does the cross over cable connect between usb ports on the 2 computers?

For word 2003 I don;t think any kind of flash drive would be big enough.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

ok, thanks. I also went ahead and ordered a very reasonably priced external dvd/cd, esp suitable for these small ultrabooks.