Date: 28 March 24, 03:29 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Malware Attacks That Freeze Your Screen

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Like I suppose everyone, I get the occasional mal-ware that says my computer is in dire need of help, etc.,etc.

Usually this type of attack freezes my screen and I can't get out of it's clutches. Nor will it let me re-boot in the normal way.

Until today I've always merely shut-off the power to my computer at my surge protection box, then re-started.

This time however I decided to run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan instead. The scan result said 17 unwanted items had been found, but when I clicked on "Finish", the number of unwanted items began spinning like a utility meter, eventually reaching 2,272 items! The program then apparently removed all these items and all seems well.

I just wonder how it is possible that the unwanted items number should get so high? Also, is the Anti-Malware scan the best first choice to escape from this sort of attack?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Malware typically replicates within your system, which explains the big number.

As for Malwarebytes, I believe it's the best free malware scan available. I have a 2-year subscription that provides real-time protection. I also use Firefox with the WOT (Web of Trust) extension, which greatly reduces exposure to bad sites. I find WOT to be an invaluable tool.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

To add to the list, I too use WOT and  Anti-malwarebytes.  I have also found a program named Junkware Removal Tool very helpful.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Funny. I've been computing like mad for years and I cannot recall the last time I had any kind of malware. I only know it's close to 20 years.

To protect my computers that are connected to the internet 24/7 I only use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. For my FF browser, I use WOT. That's it.

I also use CCleaner to keep my systems tidy, but it is NOT an anti-malware program.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I use whatever comes with Windows. For 7, it's MSSE. For 10, it's Defender (essentially the same program). On my patrol car's Win 7 laptop (which is connected 24/7), it has no antivirus at all.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I had a nasty last week, took over Chrome and produced messages relating to Ad Blocker on a couple of different sites.  Anti-malware didn't see it on two different runs.  I tried AwCleaner, which IMO is difficult to use.  Then I ran the Junkware Removal Tool and it nailed it.  But it was the first I've had in a couple years, and I couldn't figure out where it came from or what it was.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit