Forgot your password?

IE9 Final

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Earlier this year I installed Internet Explorer 9 (original poast here), but I removed it from my system after 4 days of heartaches.

After some prodding from Windows Secrets, which is currently recommending to its reader base that IE9 be installed, I decided to give it another chance. I figured that by now Microsoft would have sorted out the problems with its latest browser.

I am currently running Windows 7 64-bit, with SP1. Before installing IE9, I prepped my system by ensuring the latest updates were installed as recommended by Windows Secrets. I also installed the latest iteration of nVidia graphic drivers; just in case.

Once my system updates were fully completed, I installed IE9 after a fresh reboot. The installation went through the usual MS garbage, as IE9 has to fully sink its claws into the operating system. After what seemed like a long time, I finally got to the "System restart" screen. The only difference from the last time I installed IE9, is that this installation did not require that I shut down various background services such as my antivirus.

As soon as the system rebooted, I knew nothing had changed from my last IE9 installation. Two of my desktop gadgets now had white backgrounds.

Figuring I'd give MS a chance, I googled for possible solutions. My "Hermes" RSS gadget had a new update, so I installed it and I was pleased with the results. The white background was gone and I enjoyed some new features that made the gadget better than before.

I did not have as much luck with the WeatherBug gadget, as no new updates were available. So I googled again for possible solutions. I found a thread at a Microsoft forum, which made it obvious that I was not alone with this problem. Microsoft had 3 solutions posted. I spent about 1/2 hour trying their "solutions", but it was a 1/2 hour of wasted time.

I did eventually find a helpful post in a forum that detail how to modify the WeatherBug gadget to force a transparent background. I gave it a try and it worked. Sort of. The background was now transparent, but the gadget flickered once or twice with the white background anytime I moused over it. It was a slight irritation, but I figured I could live with it until a permanent fix came about.

When I got home from work last night, I had to wake my computer from sleep mode. Then another irritant reared its ugly head. It took Aero nearly a minute to work. Until then, everything had a solid background. This is the same problem I had last time.

After thinking about for about 2 seconds, I uninstalled IE9.

I think what frustrated me most about this exercise is that I should have known better. What is it about Microsoft that we put ourselves through this never-ending nut roll? I would never tolerate this behavior from any other software. If installing Firefox created this many problems, I would forever throw it away and probably never consider reinstalling it.

I no longer care what changes or fixes Microsoft comes up with in IE9. As long as I'm running Windows 7, IE8 is now a permanent fixture. Not that it matters, since I rely almost entirely on Firefox.

If you have not "downgraded" from IE8 to IE9, then good for you. Save yourself the heartache and take a pass.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm glad it's working for you, JA. But I'm not willing to either risk it again or recommend it to anyone. Especially when, in my humble opinion, Firefox and Chrome are far superior choices.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

Look, I can settle this and prove why IE 9 is no good and why you shouldn't bother with it and just how Foolish it is.

I use it.

Sure, I've got Flozilla Mitrebox and Chromium.  But still, I'm on autopilot when I browse and I just kick on the old IE.  I've got my favorites in it, and can actually find them.  I love the duality of the Compatibility View, especially when I can't understand why I can't load something or see it because of that.  And they're favorites; not "bookmarks."  Criminy, I thought they stopped calling them those with Netscape.

Now, some here might remember my travails and trials and tribulations with IE 6 and all that as my old pc flamed out...  That was probably a couple thousand MS updates ago.  I liked that piece on the Firefox naming conventions, and how it will get to Firefox 798 by 2012. 

Chrome is cool, because I've got a background set for Google but that won't show if I'm in Chrome.  How nuts is that.  And all I get in that is a little storyboard of sites, and no clue where any other favorite bookmarks might be buried.

I do use Firefox for a web application I need for work, but if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't.  Although the latest version does seem a lot better for finding old tabs and saves and the like. 

So, if a character witness could serve as an authority on what not to do, then here I am.  You could probably run an ad campaign:  "Would you use the same browser as this clown?!  Of course you wouldn't: get yourself over to the 21st century and get Firefox 6 wait 7 hold it 17."   You know, in a way I think all those Microsoft security patches and fixes are sort of "value added."  I mean, look at all the free stuff you get if you get IE.  And I think version 9 is like one more than 8 was.

Ace; also I've got my Logitech "Home" key set for my IE homepage.  I mean, how clever and convenient is that!

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So, what is your point?

Did you do the upgrade to IE9 on your home computer? If so, did you have any problems or Microsoft silliness? And is your Windows 7 a 32 or 64-bit installation?

I'm using Win 7 64-bit, and it seems most people with IE9 problems are using the 64-bit version. I have a 32-bit system available, but I am not willing to play with any more IE9 installations. Uh-uh, no way.

Scuzzy; I'll try MiredFox next.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Geez Louise, do I have to write everything down so you can read it...
Yes, I have 64 bit 7.  Like I'd make do with some half-bit 32 pack.  And sure, IE 9 works fine.  It goes where I point it.  I don't ask much of it, and it doesn't demand much of me.
I guess I like that when I download something I can just point the contagion at my desktop, or some folder, and it doesn't go into that weird Firepants limbo download zone.  I still don't follow that, but I'm not exactly the sharpest bell on the hat if you know what I mean.
I am a multi-browsered and trousered user, if I ever happen to actually remember I've got Firefox and Chrome installed to actually use them, ever.
I guess I also like how the web pages show if you hover over the e icon in the taskbar... 
I hope the above helps to validate my endorsement, and make me eligible for some kickback from Microsoft.

Ace; I'd be glad to serve as one of Bill Gate's charitable causes.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Goodness. You didn't have to go and actually answer me, you know. I was just writing out loud, never expecting you to chime in.

Firefox is very easy to setup to put downloads where you want them. Go into the options. The first screen lets you set it up to whatever sinks your boat. I set mine up to download fattening things to your computer.

If you are happy with IE, then I don't want it. You can keep it. It probably has your cooties all over it, which is why I had so many problems.

Scuzzy; looking at your avatar, you need to find a charity that will take you as a cause.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Well, then tell him to quit downloading fattening things to my computer.  Criminy, I've got enough incoming junk mail with all the MS updates and fixes.  No wonder I feel heavy, and bogged down.
I tried a browser test last night; I went to Chrome and tried to download a Kate Bush video and found it spinning its wheels. So I went to IE and tried it.  Well, actually, neither one got there in any due time.  Maybe I'll punch on all three at once to see if that will burn through.

Ace; then I'll try to play COD and Far Cry and Madden simultaneously.  I'd figure a dual core should be able to handle three things at once, or they wouldn't have named it that.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I've tried to do three things at once and it didn't go well. I can however walk and chew gum, but not on a ladder or not while I'm washing my car.

I do have the IE 9 on the computer, I don't use it much or at all really. I've never had any problem with it being so I suppose it's all right with me.

If it feels good, it must be illegal.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit