Forgot your password?

Windows 10 Update 1703

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm not happy. Microsoft Windows 10 just shoved a major update up my ass. I'm currently on my Win 7 laptop as my main systems are currently down. Although I had the option to "snooze" the updates, I need to do it now because I cannot risk that the update will install while I'm preparing for work in the morning.

I still have no idea what sort of damage the update will do to my settings, as previous major updates have deleted my preferences with whatever Microsoft feels it should be. Thanks to previous experience, I'm assuming the worst.  >:(

My systems restarted some 10 minutes ago, and are currently at 25%. It's going slow.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

What a PITA.  MS should be ashamed.
Why don't you think about trying to find a Win7 license somewhere and dump that crap they call "10"?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I would probably have to make some hardware modifications. When I built these 2 systems, they did not behave well with Windows 7. I don't recall all of the problems I had, but I remember I could not find any workarounds and I finally gave up. When I first installed 10, it seemed like a good solution. It wasn't until later that I realized just how bad it was.

I walked away from the updates and came back to the login screen. Once I logged in Windows had to "get more information" and continue setting up the updates. So I walked away again in a huff. By the time I returned some 10 minutes later, Edge was on my screen with some crap information I didn't want. I also found One Drive running in the background, despite having it previously disabled. Had I logged into that first thing tomorrow at 4:30 am, I would have been pissed. Not that I'm all that happy at the moment.

Surprisingly, this time my preferences were not reset... at least not that I have found. I don't know what was updated and I have no desire to go find out.

Bill, you made a very, very wise choice keeping with Windows 7 on your new build. Feel free to pat yourself on the back. I am utterly disgusted with Windows 10.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Damn it, time to start troubleshooting. As with previous major Win10 updates, my scanner is no longer recognized by PaperPort. On top of that, my external drive is no longer recognized by Windows.

Scuzzy; I hate Microsoft more than ever.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

As I recall, "they didn't play well with win 7" was not the real issue.  You were pissed that your wife's and your win7 install had bloomed to 65 - 75 gigs.  And you couldn't figure out why.  And when you finally quit trying to find the Space Goblins, you installed Win 10.

My Win7 install and various programs on the C: drive is now 65 gigs and I couldn't care less. That includes all the "important" (formerly Critical) Updates.   I could not figure out why that bothered you and I still don't understand.  There is a ton of space available beyond the win7 install, whatever the size.

I believe your hardware selection is GTG just the way it is today.  Yes, it means hours of work, but think how much more you would enjoy using your powerhouse with Win 7.

Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I recall being frustrated by the storage goblins and not understanding why Windows 7 got so fat. But part of my decision to go with Win 10 was an issue with a couple drivers that I could not resolve in Windows 7. One had to do either with Bluetooth or with sound, and the other was with the mobo's WiFi. ASUS did not have a solution, nor could I find anything on the web. Updating to the latest BIOS at the time didn't help either. Windows 10 recognized the hardware and automatically installed the drivers, which helped my decision along.

It's because of the driver issues that I could not resolve that has kept me from trying Win 7 again. BTW: I still have a couple Win 7 licenses available.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Ah, this is the first I'm hearing about the drivers, so the culprit is the motherboard / ASUS.  I didn't realize that.  Maybe not resolve-able yet.  But I'll bet you're not the only one.  When I get some time tomorrow or Tuesday I'll look around....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So I went back at previous poasts and found that I stated the WiFi was working nice and fast on the Windows 7 installation. I recall having driver problems that I could not resolve, but now I'm second guessing myself as to what they were. I'm certain the Bluetooth was an issue. Hmm.

I wonder if I have the wherewithal to try a Windows 7 installation again. That's a lot of stinkin' work.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes indeed it is a lot of work, but so was mine and I am certainly not sorry.  Do you use Blue Tooth for speakers? That's easily changed for not a lot of money.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm still no fan of Windows 10, but one positive thing came out of the last update. From a dead start (fully powered down) it now takes less than 20 seconds to login to the desktop, including entering the password. Prior to the update it was something closer to 40-45 seconds.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

To add insult to injury...

My last poast was the last thing I did on my computer at home, as I prepared to leave for work. When I shut my computer down, updates were ready to be installed whether I liked it or not. As I walked out the door some 5 minutes later, the updates were still installing.

Scuzzy; I can't wait to get home.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have my fingers crossed....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

This is freakin' wonderful. Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) is currently downloading in the background. It's yet another major update, and apparently big as it's been downloading for the last 25 minutes and is currently at 38%. My internet connection has slowed to a crawl as well.

Scuzzy; I wonder why Microsoft hates me so much. :(

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Now I'm genuinely pissed off. I have a new "whether you like it or not" app shoved down my throat by Microsoft. It's called "People" and it installed with the latest update.

The problem is that the app cannot be uninstalled, nevermind that I don't want this crap installed on my computer. I now have an in-your-face app that has made a permanent home for itself on my taskbar, and there is nothing I can do to evict it.

It's the icon on the far left, shown in the attachment below. Click it, and you get the next screen. There is no way to turn this crap off, or even to hide it.

I have no words to describe how angry I am right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

If this app shows in the control panel, there are a couple of really good, non-MS uninstallers you could try.
Wise Program Uninstaller and/or Revo.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Here is another option, uninstall the latest update and then:

Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

As central as it is to the core of Windows 10, Windows Update is actually just another Windows process so it can be stopped with these simple steps:

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

source: Forbes . com

Other options exist but for versions above Windows Home.  Apparently the W Pro version allows some form of control.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

It's not showing in the Control Panel. So far nothing I have tried works, to include running Windows PowerShell as administrator. Every attempt comes back with "removal failed" and "This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator can attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows Features on or off.  However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app." The app is not listed in Windows features, so I cannot turn it off there.

I have scoured the web and have found nothing to get rid of this crap program.

Not that you would, but DO NOT install Windows 10.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Yes, Windows 10 update can be stopped in Services, but it kills all updates, including critical ones.

I think my only permanent solution is to go through the pain of installing Windows 7.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Well now you're making progress :)

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

It took a while and determination, but I finally figured out how to remove People from my taskbar. The setting was hidden inside the taskbar properties. Unfortunately, I still cannot find a way to permanently remove this crap from my computer. At least it's no longer taunting me on the taskbar.

Scuzzy; up yours, Microsoft.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator