Author Topic: Olight M20S Warrior & M3X Triton  (Read 3534 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Olight M20S Warrior & M3X Triton
« on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:48 AM »
I'm still searching for the perfect flashlight(s) and I'm currently considering both of these Olight models:

M20S Special Ops Warrior for $97.95 (Check out this YouTube video on the M20 being tortured. It will make you cringe.)

M3X Triton for $159.95

I got lucky and found an excellent deal on two pairs of boots. Normally selling for $179 a pair, I only paid $79 a pair. I can use the money I saved toward my flashlight needs. Not that I would have paid $179 a pair, but I normally pay about $110 to $120 a pair. So on two pairs, I spent about $60 to $80 less than I was expecting. :)

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: Olight M20S Warrior & M3X Triton
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Both pretty amazing.  The M3X puts out almost twice the lumens of the M20S but the lens appears to be quite a bit larger than the M20S which might be an important consideration depending on how you carry it on the duty belt.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2010, 11:52 AM »
The M20S would be holstered regularly on my duty belt. If I get the M3X, it would be placed into a baton/flashlight ring that's attached to my duty belt.

Right now I'm using a Fenix TK11 that is still performing exceptionally well, and I carry an emergency spare that leaves quite a bit to be desired. The M20S would replace my TK11, which would be relegated to my backup.

If I buy the M3X, it would augment my TK11. The M3X would become a choice light for searches and street combat, since larger flashlights often do double duty as batons.

Ideally, I can buy both of these. I work mostly at night and having powerful, dependable flashlights is not an option.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:44 PM »
If I'm gonna be in my patrol car, I'll run them down using my spotlight and emergency overheads.

Scuzzy; might as well have some fun in the process.

Offline mactavish7

• Jr. Poaster
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Once again...look at Amazon, they have the Olight M30 Triton, 700lumen for $120.  I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with what that light puts out!

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Mac,

I did consider the M30, but I like the M3X's interface much better.

My current light is the Fenix TK11, and I really like the simple interface. It has two modes: high and low. To alternate between the two requires a twist of the head. Tighten for high, loosen for low. That's partly why I like the JetBeam Jet-III, as the interface is similar.

Anyway, the M3X Triton as the same high/low interface as the Fenix, which really appeals to me. Just like the Fenix, it requires a simple twist of the head. I like a lot of the other flashlights that I see, and we'll see what I ultimately buy. But I worry about getting a flashlight with a complicated user interface, or one that forces me to cycle between Turbo/High/Med/Low/Strobe, etc. I see problems with that on the job.

You gave me enough food for thought that I will probably rebuilt some of my current flashlights, to include the Fenix. But I still want a modern thrower, and the M3X may fit my needs perfectly. I can see carrying it as my primary flashlight, and having the Fenix (and possibly one more) as a backup.

I will likely update my Stinger with the dropin you suggested, and I may or may not update one of my mags. I may do it just for fun, and for something to have around the house.

I also have a 5-yr old Streamlight SL-20X that can do double duty as a baton. If I can find a way to modify it, I may put it back in service.