Author Topic: modem question  (Read 694 times)

Offline chopin1397

• Poaster
modem question
« on: Feb 17, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Continuing problem. I want to get rid of att due to horrible billing issues. They signed me up last July for $12/mo and constant problems ensued. I did get really angry and svs was interrupted. I paid $70 to turn it back on last month. This month there is another $30 "restoral" fee and a $5 "convenience" fee. These are shady, devious, hateful people.

I'm looking at comcast, the only alternative in my area. They want to lease me a modem for $8/mo in addition to $40/mo internet. They say if I have my own modem I can use it. I have the att modem here hooked up and running, with wireless. Its a Motorola NVG589. Technically, can I continue to use it? Thanks for any input.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Re: modem question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:20 PM »
As long as they both use the same type of modem, the swap will likely work. But if you're replacing a cable modem with a DSL modem, or vice versa, then it won't.

Offline chopin1397

• Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:02 AM »
att uses the phone line and comcast is cable. however, on the back of the modem there is a cable input which is unused now. this indicates both for this modem?

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 12:23 PM »
In that case, yours is a DSL modem. There is a significant difference in the technology used between a cable modem vs. a DSL modem. I am not familiar with any modem that handles both.

This is just a guess, but maybe the connection on your modem is just a "TV out".

The bottom line is, I very much doubt it can do double duty as a cable modem.