Author Topic: Up and Running  (Read 7486 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Re: Up and Running
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Well that's a pretty decent setup. It should have enough power to spin you in your chair at high RPMs.

Win 7 is fairly well stocked with printer drivers, so I'm not surprised it recognized them for you. It does make life just a bit easier.

I would probably reinstall Windows once a week if it weren't for having to reinstall all the programs, and then having to tweak all the options. It's too much work.

So why did you bother with a fax modem?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Nicely done, Ace.  Good Luck!

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline Ace

• Mighty Jester
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • over. out.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Thanks Bill... definitely needed it Sat night... Scuzz, I don't know.  I figured it would be a good idea to just have one in case I'd ever need to do a dial-up emergency.  Then thought I coulda just yanked the one from the old one, if... So probably no (good) reason.  It wa$n't much, naturally.  But still...
I did load COD World at War, which is the Pacific theatre plus Russians in Germany game that never ever played worth a darn.  The most glitchy, jumpy jerky spastic no frame rate game ever.  All the other CODs played great, at least on SLI.  Started it up, and it was startling... no more jerks, smooth as glass, gorgeous visuals and impact, no more constant lipsyncing weirdness where nothing matched up (sorta like Justin Bieber).  Unreal what the improvement was; and that’s without any patches or upgrades; just “stock.”  So seems game worthy.

Offline pat

• xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Very nice. Should last a good long time. I like the Antec 300 and that motherboard is very similar to the one I just bought.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Offline Ace

• Mighty Jester
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • over. out.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Thanks; appreciate the thumbs up. 
Speaking of thumbs the case has the thumb screws, where the Sonata just had a push/lift lever... but the screws aren't bothersome and I don't plan to go in and dig very often anyway.  I do like the two top mounted USB plugs; have the mouse wireless little antenna in one.   It was hard to find a non-video mainboard; so many have some built in unit.

I seemed to have done well with the video card; that was a chore to research and figure a price point... was really thinking I was going with midlevel ATI but came across this unusual nVidia; it is quite impressive by the engineering, and like the results.  I was doing ok with the SLI duo before the one died, but this one is really far and away better. 

I downloaded Photoscape as a photo editor, and so far am pleased.  I have this stack of Canon software discs from various cameras, but am staying away from anything "old" after having the disaster of the one undoing the Windows CD software in 7.  And 7 is ok; getting used to how they arranged it (use it at work, too) - glad to have avoided Vista after having that thing at work for a time crippling a laptop...

Ace; I'm still waiting to get my first fax on it.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I no longer have levers, thumb screws or buttons on my computer case to deal with.

Ever since I installed an oil drain plug, life has been great. Servicing the computer has never been so easy.

Scuzzy; I should have thought of this sooner.

Offline pat

• xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #36 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I'll have to look into that photoscape, currently I have an older version of photoshop elements. I recently read a review for Chasys Draw IES over at beta news and it got very good reviews. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet though.

Yeah, I looked up that video card and it looks pretty nice.

You know, I used Vista for quite some time and it always worked fine for me. Heck if it wasn't for being able to buy the windows seven 3 pak upgrade for such a god price back when it released I most likely would have stayed on Vista.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Offline Ace

• Mighty Jester
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • over. out.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I'm still thinking thumb screws would be a nice touch on Scuzzy. 
My Vista experience was on a Lenovo laptop with issues and I don't think enough memory... it'd take nearly a half hour to get rolling each morning, and then behave strangely even after that point.  So just found it a general mess; did like that Vista still retained the "Classic View" capability, although I've gotten over that with 7's graphics.
Heck, I liked XP just fine until my Monarch lost its mind...  Windows 95 R2 did ok.
Windows for Workgroups 3.1...
NT...
I didn't get ME, thank goodness.

Ace; most people still don't get ME.