Author Topic: ThruNite Catapult V2-XML  (Read 2387 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
ThruNite Catapult V2-XML
« on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:42 PM »
I suppose I should give an update on this.

I received the Olight M3X and tested it the same night. It put out an incredible beam. It lit up my backyard, my neighbor's backyard, and the other neighbor's backyard like you wouldn't believe. It scared the beejeebers out of the coyotes, too.

But I sold it for a $10 loss.

It was an excellent flashlight, but I wanted something heavier and more robust. After a lot of searching, I found a ThruNite Catapult V2-XML (review). I purchased the light from LightHound.com for $150+ S/H. I've done business with them a number of times and they are quite reputable. (Note that the review has a photo of the V2-XML next to an Olight M31, which has the same dimensions as the Olight M3X.)

As great as the Olight was, the ThruNite beat the socks off of it. It is no exaggeration that the beam is nearly equal to my patrol car's spotlight. Best of all, the flashlight will do a great job beaning someone's noggin', should the need arise. I think it's best described as a baton that doubles as a flashlight.

The flashlight has some weight, is very well built and perfectly machined. My only complaint is that it's difficult to switch between high and low beam, but it might have something to do with the fact that it's built like a tank. Other than that, I couldn't ask for more.

Scuzzy; come to think of it, it would be nice if it came in a semi-auto 40 caliber model.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: ThruNite Catapult V2-XML
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:14 PM »
This will likely hold me over for a few years.

Scuzzy; or at least one.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:31 AM »
It would seem that the V2, given the diameter of the battery tube, is not weapon mountable.  Doesn't that matter?

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Bill, you are correct. But the flashlight is too large overall for weapons mounting anyway. My Fenix TK11 can fill that need; although it's not nearly as powerful.

My primary desire for this flashlight was for traffic stops and citizen contacts. Much of my shift is at night and often what is in my hand is a flashlight. When people want to fight me it normally comes with no warning. I'm always on the lookout for the "sucker punch", and I'm nobody's sucker.

I have good command presence and a chunk of metal bar in my hand adds to that presence. If bad guy thinks he'll get beaned with a flashlight by a no-nonsense cop, he'll think twice. If not, he'll get beaned. If nothing else I'll blind 'em.

Scuzzy; let's dance.