Author Topic: Internet access alternative  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Internet access alternative
« on: Nov 03, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I am beginning to think the best alternative now will be a big compromise. 
One of my options is to move the hard wired port from upstairs to the new downstairs room, I can only have one.  That would require that I also move the Verizon Signal Extender and the router to that same room.  As I understand it, wireless signal travels down with a pyramid shape, I don't know how effective a same floor location would be, nor do I know if moving the Vz extender to the back of the house and lower would impact it's ability to find a tower signal.  But a hard wired port would solve the biggest problem.
A wireless card doesn't look like an attractive option.
I think I will solve the largest problem and let the chips fall where they may.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Re: Internet access alternative
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Is running an Ethernet cable from the router to the downstairs bedroom not an option?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2015, 07:13 PM »
No, it's not an option.  The attic is a finished room, the walls are stuffed with insulation.  I took me an hour to run a speaker wire 3 feet in the wall from the AVR to a speaker mounted above the TV, and I did it in the NJ house several times.  The cable would have to run from one side of the house to the other.  I guess it could go under the house but it would take days and drilling a hole in the floor.  Given the bugs down here, that would be a terrible issue.  Unless the ISP has another alternative I believe moving the data port to the downstairs bedroom is the only choice.  Thanks.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2015, 03:39 PM »
An update: this afternoon the service tech moved the power port to the new computer room, we setup the ASUS router using the same identifiers as the old one.  In one fell swoop, my phone and notebook both logged into the new router network without any difficulty with the router sitting behind one of the monitors.  Signal  strength for the phone and notebook, two rooms away is twice as strong as with the old router.  The only thing that is not working yet is the Vz signal extender.  And of course my main system is now hard wired.   Speed test ping 3ms, up and down is 15mbps, no complaints from me. 

Finally I think this drama is over.

BTW, scuzzy gets great credit for an excellent router recommendation.  User interface to configure the router popped up when I opened Chrome and took 5 minutes to setup.
A big thanks for that!   

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2015, 04:27 PM by Bill »

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Sounds like good news, Bill. I'm glad it's working out, especially with my router recommendation. I can honestly say I am very pleased with my AC1900.

So what's up with the Verizon signal extender? Are you still looking to get it connected, or is it no longer working out for you?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:16 AM »
The signal extender is plugged and connected to the router, but is still searching for a tower signal.  The closest cell tower is about half a mile away but the extender, instead of being on a window sill facing the tower, is now on a sill in the back of the house with the brick walls in between.  It came with an external antenna that I didn't have to use.  If I can find it, I'll try it.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:42 AM »
I see. Have you talked to VZ to see if they have a newer/better option? T-Mobile just released a new 4G LTE Cell Spot that uses internet to provide a cell signal, even if no service is available. Is it possible VZ has a similar product?

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2015, 12:08 PM »
I checked this morning.  No such luck, Vz thinks their voice and data network is  so great that wifi  calling isn't needed.  They do have a separate product but nothing that can be used with Android phones in general.  The Vz product only supports Iphones and tablets, and I ain't doing that.  For the time being I'm just going to leave it alone.  If I make or get 3 calls a week it's a lot.  Both kids prefer texting anyway.  And that is all wifi and the new router is very strong in that area.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Update on the Vz signal extender.  It's now working and connected to the local tower.  Ol' dummy here forgot to plug it into the router.  I noticed that today and it took about an hour for it to locate the signal and is now fine.  Phone says it has a good signal, all my fault.