Author Topic: Internet Issues  (Read 686 times)

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Internet Issues
« on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:01 hrs »
My internet has been down at home for the last 24+ hours for reasons unknown to me. I just got up a short while ago and have to start getting ready for work soon, but I'll try and get a tech call in before I take off.

Meanwhile, I've been tethering off of my smartphone. I have not bothered to check the speeds, but it feels no different than my regular connection. To make sure Windows Update doesn't hog up all of my T-Mobile data, I set also Windows 10 to a metered connection.

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: Internet Issues
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:32 hrs »
Tethering is way too easy.

I called my ISP a little while ago. Apparently there is a major outage in my area that is being worked on. Hopefully it will be back on track before my weekend is here so that I can use and abuse Netflix.

I am limited to a maximum of 10GB of tethering per phone, per month. I have 3 phones at home to abuse, so we should weather this just fine. My daughter's is the 4th line, but she lives about 100 miles too far to tether off of her phone.

Online scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: Internet Issues
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2016, 13:34 hrs »
So far I have used less than 0.4 GB of data on my phone line in this cycle, and it will refresh in 6 days. I also have well over 18GB of data stash to use, if needed.

To set up tethering on an Android phone:

1. Go into the phone settings
2. Under "Wireless and Networks", select "Tethering & portable hotspot" (or similar wording)
3. Once there, set up a Wi-Fi hotspot by giving it a name and a password (as you would for a home wireless router)
4. Then turn on the hotspot to make it active

On your wireless device, simply connect to your phone's tether as you would any other Wi-Fi signal. When you're done, go back into your phone settings and turn off the hotspot so you don't needlessly send out a signal and drain your battery.

When using the smartphone as a hotspot, I find it best to disable the smartphone's Wi-Fi. Otherwise the phone may connect to a Wi-Fi signal that is not working properly and attempt to tether off of that. It's best to tether strictly off of your LTE signal.