Author Topic: thinking about new build  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: thinking about new build
« Reply #60 on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I just discovered I don't have an extra video cable to set up the new machine, I have duplicates of everything else.  Start up is going to wait until I can go to walmart....
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
« Reply #61 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Your build looks hauntingly familiar, and is beautifully clean. Good work! :) I really like the change to the SSD mount. I see that the SSD now sits on a detachable mount, whereas mine attaches directly (and flatly) to the back tray. BTW: The problem I had with my SSD mount was with the power cable, not with the SATA cable. Regardless, that problem should not present itself with your new case.

I downloaded the Define R5 user manual. The SATA-looking connector is in fact a receptor for a PSU power connector. It is to provide power from the PSU to the case fans so they can be controlled via the front panel-mounted fan switch (Page 10 of the manual, although no explanation is given). The case fans are then connected directly to the case wiring; not by plugging them into the motherboard's fan connectors. If you connect the case fans directly to the mobo, you will not be able to control the case fan speeds with the switch. My recommendation is to use the switch, as it works exceptionally well. I keep mine at medium speed, #2, and it is barely audible in the dead of night.

I see there is no specific info on the wiring & connectors, beyond what little is on Page 6. Did your mobo come with an adapter to make it easier to connect the power, LED & reset wires? I have never used one, always preferring the direct connection. It is beyond me why mobo & case manufacturers have not come up with a single, universal connector.

I'll gladly pull my computer out and check the connectors if it helps you out. Just say the word and I'll start disassembly.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #62 on: Aug 27, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Everything seems to be OK at the moment, the fans are behaving OK.  Obviously I didn't read enough of the manual! 
The M2 needs a driver before win7 install.  I downloaded the driver file from Samsung, uncompressed it and put the driver on a Thumb drive that my machine recognizes.  However and here is the problem, plugging the thumb drive  into the new machine, the BIOS sees it by name but the win7 install disc doesn't see it.  It asks for a driver, I scan and the thumb drive is not seen at all.

I'm at a loss, going to take a break. I have an errand to  run and maybe then start Googling for a tutorial, or something.
When I get back to it I'm going to recheck the USB connection on the M/B.

Thanks for your help.
BTW the BIOS cpu temp. is 30C with the water cooler.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #63 on: Aug 27, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Maybe Windows is looking for a compressed file? Is it possible the BIOS needs to be updated first? Looking at your ASUS Z170 PRO mobo's download section, they have a Windows 7 setup DVD guide you may want to look at. (Note that this is a .rar download, for which you will need Winzip.)

After poking around YouTube, this solution may work for you: Add NVMe driver support to Windows 7 Installation.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #64 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Thanks I will check those out.  And I looked at the R5 user guide and you're right about the fans, I just skipped over it.  But that's correctable before I finish.
I will try the compressed file on the thumb drive after I look at the 2 links you found.

EDIT: the Win 7 Setup guide had 2 foreign language versions and the third was for a raid setup.  Youtube has a couple of options, the one you linked to moves so fast it's hard to follow, but it seems the win7 install has to be copied to a thumb drive and the M2 driver has to be added, not certain how yet but I will tackle it tomorrow (shooting) or Tuesday.  Thanks again.  Doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017, 04:09 PM by Bill »

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #65 on: Aug 27, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Last bit of speculation for today.  I'd like your opinion...If I install 7 on the rear mounted ssd, I should be able to run the M2 driver compressed file to install the driver for M2.    Convoluted but maybe........

EDIT
My Aussie friend found this:
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59620

Will try tomorrow........

One of the you tube vids. said the only other way to get the driver into the M2 is via a SATA port, not USB.  I'm thinking I could take the new regular SATA drive, attach it to my old system and put the M2 driver on it, put it back into the new one and see if the Win7 installer will recognize the SATA drive as a source. Probably worth a try....... 
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017, 05:52 PM by Bill »

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #66 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:06 PM »
I'm out with my wife and on my smartphone, but your last idea seems worth a try.

How about installing the drivers to the rear mounted SSD?

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #67 on: Aug 27, 2017, 08:15 PM »
I should have read your poast carefully. I see my last idea is the one you already plan on trying.

I know your mobo recognizes both PCIe & SATA M.2 SSDs. Is there a setting for that in the BIOS, or is the M.2 automatically recognized in the proper mode?

As for your idea of installing 7 on the read-mounted SSD in hopes of installing the driver to the M.2, I suppose it could potentially work. No harm in trying, but I'd probably save that for last.

In your mobo user manual (page 2-50 of the downloaded ASUS Z170 PRO English manual), it states that some drivers from the included DVD have to be pre-loaded for Windows 7 to install. Maybe this is related and something worth researching? EDIT: After reading that section again I realize it does not apply to the problem you're having. It's only for pre-loading USB 3.0 drivers.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #68 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for all that, sorry to interrupt your evening.  We have discovered the problem with using the rear SSD.  The Samsung driver is embedded in an install package - an .exe file.  Win 7 install can't deal with the .exe file, only needs the 64 bit driver itself.
The problem Aussie and I are trying to solve now is how to extract the 64 bit driver from the .exe file.  Apparently there are thousands of people dealing with this right now.
One of the suggested methods is to use a program named WIX tool kit, an unknown for me, but some on Tom's Hardware are suggesting a very complicated process......
I'd think Samsung or one of the biggies would put out a tutorial, but that would be too easy.
More to follow I hope.....

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #69 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:04 AM »
No interruption at all, I just didn't want to leave you hanging.

I didn't think this would be anywhere as difficult as it is. Is the problem specifically related to installing Windows 7 on an M.2, or is it with any OS?

I cannot understand why Samsung wouldn't simply provide the needed driver so that it is easily recognized by the OS during installation. Damn.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #70 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:11 AM »
POSSIBLE SOLUTION!

Check out this reply from "parsec" about half way down the page: Install Windows 7 on 960 EVO

The last link on his reply takes you to a secondary source for the "pure" driver that you need.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #71 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:13 AM »
From what I have read, win 8.1 and forward don't have this problem, just win 7 and earlier.
The plan for this afternoon and maybe tomorrow is to install win 7 on the rear SSD, download and run the M2 driver package and then, with some luck, clone or reinstall Win 7 to the M2.  I may have to install something like Easy BCD to be able to boot initially to the M2 and then wipe the rear SSD.  All the while hoping that wiping the first install doesn't remove the SAmsung driver.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #72 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Great I will look.  You poasted when I was writing. 

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #73 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Per my last poast, here's the direct link to Samsung's Windows 7 64-bit driver:

https://mega.nz/#!IQkWQTbZ!eN6kChpMfmKgmRaSfkon1VChiNZrsjx2_VqCuH1SE6M

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #74 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:19 AM »
That same help thread on the ASRock forum had other ideas that may be worth following up if needed.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #75 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:37 AM »
OK, I have now d/l and unzipped and have 1 .cat file, 1 .inf file and 2 sys files in a folder.  What to do with them is next.  I'll re-read the thread and look at ASRock forum, have to get ready to Pick up George and clean the ECO.  You have been a great help.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #76 on: Aug 28, 2017, 10:42 AM »
You might be ahead of me on this, but reference the ASRock help thread this is the link for the step-by-step procedure...

NotebookReview: Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (Note that according to parsec, it's important to follow every step perfectly.)

Looks like several steps are involved. Good luck!

P.S. Please give my best wishes to George and his lovely bride.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #77 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Will do, they think a lot of you.  I will get back to this fight later, thanks again.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #78 on: Aug 28, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I just read the parsec procedure you linked above.  Talk about long and complex but there are some steps in there that make me just placing the driver files on the rear SSD won't work.  I'm going to read the other option on that page and decide if it sounds reasonable before trying parsec's option.
\
EDIT: the other option, for me, doesn't sound workable.  I have a formatted 8g thumb drive and I'm going to try parsesc's procedure.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2017, 03:12 PM by Bill »

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #79 on: Aug 28, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Now I do need your help. I've forgotten all the cmd (dos) commands.  I have to get from C:\users\Bill   to this folder on G:     G:\USB3 Fix

Ideas for Tuesday? Too late today for me -tired.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #80 on: Aug 28, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Holy cow, Bill. I have not used DOS in 20+ years. Thankfully the commands are relatively basic and simple.  ;D

To change to another drive and then to another directory is easy.

***Leave out the quotation marks in my examples.***

1. In the command prompt, simply type and enter "G:"
2. Once in G:, change to the sub-directory by typing and entering "CD\USB3 Fix" (Note the back slash, not front slash)
3. When in a command prompt, you can review the directory files by typing and entering "DIR"
4. To get back to C:, simply type and enter "C:"
5. Entering "CD.." takes you back one sub-directory at a time until you hit the root directory
6. Entering "CD\" immediately takes you to the root directory of whatever drive you're in
7. Entering "Exit" closes the command prompt

You can go straight to a deep sub-directory by entering "CD\FirstDirectory\Second\Third\Fourth\AndSoOn"

BTW: The commands are not case sensitive. Also, in DOS a "folder" is called a "directory". Thus the command CD means Change Directory.

DOS is unforgiving to any typos or misspellings. If a command does not work, double check the characters, spaces (if any), etc.

Scuzzy; thanks for the walk down memory lane. :)

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #81 on: Aug 29, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Again, thank you very much.  I am about 2/3 of the way thru persec's procedure and hope to get through it today, maybe this morning.  Not really difficult but very tedious.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #82 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:06 AM »
Good luck.

Scuzzy; rootin' for ya.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #83 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:06 AM »
When you have time, I'm confused...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

After the first DOS operation with the "boot.wim" file which all worked fine, Just below the cmd window in the Guide it says do the same thing to the "install.wim" file.  Huh? I have gotten to the point where the install.wim file has been mounted.  The next operation with the boot.wim file was to add drivers for USB3.
Do you think I am to add drivers to the Install. wim file as well?  That seems redundant but maybe...I'm not sure it would do any harm...what do you think?

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #84 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:16 AM »
I'll take a look.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #85 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I've just re-read the second box of code and line 2 answered the question - yes.  Sorry I'm just not really comfortable with this.  I will add the drivers to the Index : 2 which is windows 7 Home premium and see what happens.
EDIT: the author left out the spaces required with the code in the second box.  Guess I'm OK now.  Thanks.

Edit: that all worked, moving now to replacing the 2 files in the windows install image on the thumb drive and adding NVMe drivers.  Getting closer!!!

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #86 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Yes, I understood the instructions as doing the same. If you continue in the step-by-step instructions,...

I was just going to explain what you apparently figured out. :)

If you think a phone call will help, we'll work it out together. Looks like you're making good progress though.

Scuzzy; standing by.

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #87 on: Aug 29, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Success!!  Windows has loaded and is setting up.  Couple of odd things, didn't get the option to format or partition. Don't yet have internet so for the moment, loading drivers from ASUS disk.  Will update later.   Thanks.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #88 on: Aug 29, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

Damn good work, Bill!

Scuzzy; woohoo!!!

Offline Bill

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #89 on: Aug 29, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Thanks you helped alot.  Presently updating 131 important (only) updates.  'bout 100 to go, we'll see how it goes.