Forgot your password?

Perixx Scissor-Key Keyboard

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 9816
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.

Last February 2020, after wearing out my old Perixx membrane keyboard, I went out in search of something better. I considered just about every brand out there, looking for the best overall deal. I ended up buying a Perixx PX1900 mechanical keyboard (USB wired) through Amazon for $39.99, which is no longer available (at least not through Amazon).

The new 7-color backlit keyboard is on the silent side, with only a hint of clicking as the keys bottom out. It's an overall pleasant typing experience and so much smoother than a membrane keyboard. The keyboard feels exceptionally well made, with a bit of heft. I settled on a pleasant teal color on the lowest brightness setting.

I really enjoy that the LED lights are evenly illuminated throughout the keyboard. There is light spill between the keys, but it is uniform, pleasant and unobtrusive. The light flows nicely through the etched-key characters regardless of LED color, and I find they are easily visible regardless of lighting conditions. My previous Perixx membrane had shiny keys, which made the lightly printed characters disappear if the LED lights were off.

The keyboard does not have dedicated media keys, but media controls are available via through FN key combinations, such as FN + F4 to mute the volume. It's also easy to accidentally bump the LED colors, as it's controlled by a single key located under the right shift key. I wish that changing the color was a two-key combination to prevent that. Thankfully it doesn't happen often and it's a minor inconvenience when it does. Lastly, the keyboard remains lit when the computer takes a nap. You must manually turn the lights off (and then manually back on when you wake the computer), or outright shut the computer off.

With over 5 months of using this keyboard it still looks and feels like it's brand new, and I wouldn't think twice about buying another. If nothing else, I will never return to a membrane keyboard. While the PX1900 model may not be available, the layout is exactly like this Perrix Periboard-329, which has the same tactile scissor keys. As a bonus, the Periboard-329 has a larger character print.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6562
Report to moderator

I think the evolution is interesting.  I remember when the SAITEK was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I also remember having to use the SAITEK while a new Logitech 800 wireless was enroute.  Just a terrible experience.  The SAITEK keys are clunky, the best I can describe them.
Do the Perixx keys sit higher than say your notebook ones? That was one thing that I really disliked about the SAITEK. Certainly cannot argue about your price.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 9816
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I would describe the keys as normal height for a desktop keyboard, probably similar to most Logitech models. Certainly nothing unusual, and I find it quite comfortable.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 9816
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just checked with my Snap-On precision steel rule. The keys are 1/4" height from the platform, but they are not notebook style if that is your preference.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6562
Report to moderator

Thanks.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit