Author Topic: What about Roku?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline chopin1397

• Poaster
What about Roku?
« on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I just relocated my Lenovo laptop away from my hdtv so I can't easily connect to netflix. I had been considering the Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p which bypasses the computer altogether. I previously posted here about losing the sound when streaming movies and never could figure out the problem. Anyway this device has over 1,200 reviews, mostly favorable, which is a huge number. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this device? There is a newer model, called the xs 2 I believe, but reviews are much lower and it seems to be aimed at gamers anyway which I have zero interest in. Thanks for any imput.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Re: What about Roku?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I bought one of the original Roku players (Wireless G) some 3+ yrs ago. So far it continues to work well, but I have no experience with any of the new models.

In my bedroom I'm using a Sony Blu-Ray player (hard wired thru LAN) that has limited streaming options, but it does include Netflix. I can honestly say it gets a lot of abuse.

Offline chopin1397

• Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2011, 09:14 PM »
So the blue ray plays dvds and you can stream thru Netflix? That's essentially all I want. What's the model # scuzzy?

I went ahead an ordered the roku though.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Mine is a Sony Blu-Ray BDP-N460, which I've had for well over a year. Once in awhile I'll use it to watch a DVD, but more often than not I use it to stream Netflix. It works very well, and all I need is a single HDMI cable running to the tube.

Just about any new model DVD player or television offers Netflix streaming, among other offerings. For just a few extra bucks, you can get built in wireless.

Offline chopin1397

• Poaster
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2011, 03:18 AM »
Amazing all the cool things I learn here! If I had known I may have not ordered the roku. I may return it and get the blue ray anyway. Thanks.