Author Topic: Lumintop TD-15 / Maelstrom G5 LED Flashlights  (Read 4213 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
Lumintop TD-15 / Maelstrom G5 LED Flashlights
« on: Nov 26, 2010, 06:56 PM »
I'm looking to augment my LED flashlight collection. My primary duty flashlight is a Fenix TK11 (max 225 lumen) that has performed admirably for over two years. However, I have been patiently waiting for an opportunity to upgrade to something more powerful. I'll be getting the opportunity with my upcoming annual uniform allowance.

I'm currently considering two Cree XP-G R5 models. One is the Lumintop TD-15 Terminator and the other is the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. The TD-15 has a maximum output of 420 lumen, and the G5 cranks out a very respectable 350 lumen. However, the Maelstrom is available in a premium "S2" model, which bumps the maximum lumen to 375. These are not flashlights that you'll find in your grandpa's glove box. They are personal torches that will double as light weapons.  :o

The TD-15 is selling in the $60+ range at sbflashlights.com, depending on accessories.  The G5 is on sale at 4sevens.com through the end of this month for $95.95, then it goes back to its usual $149.95. Both lights are weapon mountable, which is an important feature for cops and military personnel.

Obviously, if I want the G5 I will have to purchase it this weekend to get the sale price. If I wait, then I will probably have to go with the much lower priced TD-15. Either way I don't think I can go wrong.

BTW: I have not used sbflashlights.com, but I have purchased from 4sevens.com with great results and excellent customer service.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: LED Flashlights
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Cash only on this end. Or it doesn't get bought.  :P

No, I haven't decided yet. I might wait until after the New Year. Or I might not. What to do? What to do?

The owners at CandlePowerForums decided to do some updates to their site over the weekend, which mostly made their forum unavailable. Now that it's back up and running, it's much more restrictive and difficult to use. It's a royal pain now.  >:(

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: LED Flashlights
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:12 PM »
I get an annual uniform allowance, which I spend as I see fit. Of course, it's intent is obvious.

I am fully responsible for purchasing my uniforms and equipment, as well as upkeep. My need varies year-to-year, but the allowance does not normally cover my actual annual expenses.

The $600 allowance (it's public record) might seem like a lot, but cop equipment is expensive. For example, I maintain 4 long sleeve shirts at an average of $65 each, along with 4 short sleeve shirts at an average of about $60 each. With care, I get about 1-1/2 to 2 years out of them.

Boots average $110 a pair. I maintain 2 pairs and get about 1 to 1-1/2 years out of them. Pants average $60 a pair. Then there's all the leather gear. A leather duty belt is in somewhere in the $70 to $80 range. A new holster is around $110 or so. There's handcuffs that get lost or damaged at an average of $30 to $40 a set. My Secret Squirrel mic assembly lasts about a year at $135.

Some departments do not provide an allowance, opting instead to fully provide the uniforms and equipment to their officers. Some are a mix of the two.

Since I work patrol, my office provides a new vest for me every 5 years. I got my replacement about 5 months ago. However, the optional $120 titanium trauma plate I carry was on me.

Our office does install a Stinger flashlight in each patrol car, but I'm pretty sure I've never actually used one. Aside from pulling it out for the monthly inventories, the flashlight in my patrol car just goes for the ride.

With my upcoming allowance, I should have enough left over this time around to upgrade my primary flashlight and take my wife to dinner. :)