Author Topic: JetBeam Jet-III M R5 vs. Olight M21 SST-50  (Read 5182 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
  • In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls me.
JetBeam Jet-III M R5 vs. Olight M21 SST-50
« on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I'm still wondering what to get.  :P After reading lots of reviews, I am now seriously considering one of these two powerhouses:

JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) R5 $84 range here. (note that the review is for the older R2 version)

Olight M21 SST-50 $120 range here.

Both are excellent, well built tactical LED lights with lots of power. JetBeam's R5 has a max output of 355 lumen, vs. the Olight's max of 500 lumen. The JetBeam is more of a "thrower"; the Olight is more of a floodlight. Either puts my current Fenix TK11 to shame.

I have to admit that I'm leaning toward Olight's M21, as I believe the powerful floodlight can be more useful in my job. On the other hand, the compact JetBeam R5 is more useful when conducting a search in a field.

Hmm.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
Re: JetBeam Jet-III M R5 vs. Olight M21 SST-50
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:54 PM »
These lights do not have an adjustable focus, due to the flat die nature of LEDs. Although some LED lights have that feature, it's just a gimmick that does not work that well. A true tactical light would not try to pull off that stunt.

They do have adjustable light levels, but the angle of the hotspot and spill remain the same.

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:31 PM »
LEDs, or Light Emitting Diodes, are not "light bulbs". LEDs that are used in flashlights are flat and mounted on a circuit board.

Due to the design of LEDs, the light emits straight out. In a standard light bulb, the light emits all the way around the bulb. As such, you cannot focus an LED the way you can an incandescent light.

I like that the JetBeam is continuously variable, but you have to program it into a secondary mode. Once programed, you select between "high" and the secondary mode. To use a different output, you have to reprogram the secondary mode to your liking.

With the M21, you select from the 4 available modes (lo/med/hi/stobe).

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:40 PM »
I don't know how flashlight makers stay in biz.  Not many people I know have a fascination for flashlights.  I won't be getting into the business!

Quite the contrary, there is a strong specialized market for high quality flashlights. Those interested include:

Military
Law enforcement
Fire departments
Search and rescue
Hunters and campers
Outdoor sports

Offline scuzzy

• Forum Cop
  • Administrator
  • xTreme Super Poaster
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Most newer tactical flashlight are designed to be weapon mounted, which means the body will have a 1" diameter. There are plenty of 1" holsters on the market.

Some flashlights have the "cigar ring/grip", most of which are removable. To use these flashlights in tactical holsters, one must first remove the cigar ring.