Date: 18 April 24, 20:52 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Tires?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I need tires for the Terrain -17? | 235/60-17- and been using Consumer Reports for ratings and found lots of dissenting user reviews on their choices.  I think I have settled on Michelin Defender LXTs or maybe the less expensive H-Ts, LXTs run $125 vs. H-Ts for $70. Reviews say good thread wear and low noise for both models.
My inclination is the LXTs. 
When I was younger I was an early adopter of Michelin radials and had good experiences on a 1967 Mustang, and a Triumph TR3A.
Do you have an opinion or experience?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Is there a Discount Tire store (AKA America's Tire) near you?

Over the decades, I've always shopped tires with a lot of care and research, but I no longer take Consumer Reports into account when buying anything. Not even a toaster. Years ago I bought CR top-rated Falken all-season tires, and then got rid of them as fast as I could. They were the worst tires I have ever experienced. They were extremely noisy, slippery when wet, worthless in snow, and constantly pulled to the right. After that miserable experience, I canceled my CR subscription and tossed them to the curb along with the tires.

Anyway, a few years ago I discovered Continental Contact series tires, and I love them. I'm on my second set on my Toyota, and my father-in-law is on his second set on his Subaru. I will unquestionably buy Continental Contacts again, and so will my FIL.

I know that no tire is perfect in every situation, nor for every car. There is always some sort of tradeoff. However, I find that the Contact series strike a perfect balance for my needs. The pricing is acceptable, they are long-wearing, reasonably quiet, provide good traction, and give confidence in foul weather. I love that they consistently track straight. I've had too many tires that favor drifting the car to the right, which I find exceedingly annoying. Aside from an occasional, strong side wind, I've never had that issue with the Contacts.

Anyway, that's my opinion. YMMV.

If I was close enough, I'd happy replace your brakes. I spent over 20 years as a mechanic, and brake systems are my specialty.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks for the brakes offer, I wish you were closer too.  There is a Discount Tire but no very close.  The Michelin dealers is 10 minutes.  Both Continental and Michelin are in the same price range.  I will see if the local guy carries Continental. 
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

If you choose Michelin, I'm sure they'll be fine. I don't have any experience with the LXT or H-T line, at least not that I recall.

I had a bad Michelin experience in the mid-nineties, thanks to Consumer Reports (I'm noticing a theme here). The tires were rated for around 90k miles, and I bought them at Discount Tire. The tires had excessive siping and felt mushy on my '90 Accord, and negatively affected the car's handling. I headed straight back to Discount and exchanged the Michelin tires for my first set of Yokohama.

BTW, my second favorite tire to the Continental Contacts is Yokohama. I think the model is YK740, and that model might be exclusive to Discount Tire. If I had to, I wouldn't think twice about going back to Yokohama.

When I was in the SO, the maintenance shop favored Goodyear tires. We had Pirelli tires as well, but only because that's what came preinstalled on the Impala patrol cars.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Local shop carries Continental but of course were out of stock, ordered for Tuesday.  Then off to the hand wash place and now the GMC feels better.

BTW local shop quoted me "about" $200 per axle for brakes which struck me as high. Turned rotor, not new.
What say you?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I say that I wish I was much closer to you. I could do both axles with high-quality new rotors and pads for far less $$$.

The price you were quoted sounds like the going rate, albeit expensive. Actual shop cost is likely to be less than $50 per axle, including turning the rotors, so the rest is overhead and profit. Depending on the shop, you may also not get the best parts value for your money. However, I no longer recommend turning rotors as the savings is minimal for what you get in return. Of course, I do my own work. If you buy new rotors from a shop, they are going to want their "fair share."

My favorite brake kit is Powerstop OE Replacement ($150~), or better yet the upgraded Powerstop Geomet ($275~). Prices include front & rear axles, with new rotors and pads. I believe they are mostly available online, but local shops may carry the brand. I've had good results with Centric brake parts as well, but will always defer to Powerstop when given the choice. I usually shop brake parts at www.carparts.com.

I recommend that you shop around, and AVOID the national chains as if they were herpes. You probably have an independent shop nearby that will treat you and your car much better. This Google search (EDIT: Link removed due to location ID) shows many options in your area. Some rate pretty high, but have very few reviews. Others like Hays Tire Pros, Judy's Brakes & Alignment, Bruce's Auto & Muffler, and Simmons Service Center look promising.

No need for slotted or perforated rotors, unless you plan to tow things around, race on weekends, or drive like Steve McQueen. When he was alive, that is.

Scuzzy; you could be known as "Bullitt Bill."

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

In the G & K household I am known as Curly Bill!  George has found a local shop that he is happy with so far. They have done brakes and minor servicing on his Toyota truck.  Maybe I'll ask.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Your search produced Bruce's Auto which is the shop G has recommended, I am going tomorrow to talk to them and give them time to order parts.  I am planning to replace front rotors but not the rear unless I'm told otherwise.
Tires are scheduled for Tuesday, going to try for Friday for the brakes.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Sounds promising. When you visit Bruce's tell them I sent you. Lol. With less than 60k on your vehicle, your rear brakes are likely to be fine. It's not unusual for rear brakes to outlast the front by 50% or more, but an inspection will verify one way or the other.

I did not mean to imply that you should get new rotors vs. turning them. However, for most DIY mechanics it's the better value. If your rotors remain in good condition and the savings are substantial by turning them, then opt for the savings. If replacement is needed, only choose good quality rotors. This is an area where you don't want to downgrade, especially for your front axle.

If you are advised to flush the brake fluid, give it positive consideration. You don't have high mileage, but the car is old enough that it is probably warranted. Aside from providing hydraulics and lubrication, brake fluid absorbs heat away from the calipers. That intense heat, along with moisture in humid areas, breaks down the brake fluid over time and leads to corrosion and premature part failure. If the brake fluid is dark and murky, then it's time. At a minimum, ask for them to take a look. A reputable shop will not sell you anything you don't need.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks sounds like all good advice. I will let you know how things go/went.

BTW, Bruce said, "Tell Scuzzy we're on vacation this week, thanks."

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

New tires went on this  am and I could immediately tell the difference.  New ones are quieter, smoother riding and track in a very straight line.  First model selection was not available and upgraded to these:
https://www.continentaltire.com/tire-search?mode=vehicle&year=2013&make_id=60&model_id=10531&vehicle_id=63059&plus_size=-1

Pricey but I think worth it. Retail $155.00 + $15 b&m.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm not familiar with the CrossContact, as I have Contact Tour. If they're any better than what I have, then no doubt you will be pleased. It certainly sounds like you're off to a good start.

Did your old tires wear evenly? If there was any sign of unusual wear, no matter how small, make sure you get an alignment soon (ideally within the first 100 miles). That, along with regular tire rotations, will help ensure you get the longest life from your new rubber.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No unusual wear, these are designated "SUV" not "sedan". I had them on a 2 hour drive today and I am pleased.
Thanks for your help.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

New tires are 12 days old and I'm impressed.  Much quieter than the originals, softer riding and easier to drive.  By which I mean they track in straight lines.