Forgot your password?

How to rename a network printer

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Having recently built new Microsoft Windows computers for my home, I was unable to rename a cryptically named networked printer using the printer's properties shortcut. I learned that to rename the printer for use on my computer required a simple registry hack. To rename the printer, open the registry editor (run the 'regedit' command) and navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\<name of your device>

Click that folder and look for "Name". Its value will be the current network name of the printer. Simply right-click the name and select "Modify". Enter the new value data name (however you want the printer name to appear), and click OK.

After you make the change, close out the registry editor and restart the computer. After restarting the computer, you'll see the new name for the printer.

This hack only renames the printer on your computer, not at the actual printer location. If you have multiple computers accessing the same networked printer, you'll have to make this change on each computer.

As always it is wise to back up the registry prior to making changes, just in case Murphy is lurking around the corner.