Forgot your password?

iOS Apps

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm still getting my apps set up, albeit slowly. Regardless, I installed 2 of my favorite apps yesterday: Dark Sky weather app, and CalculatorPlus. Dark sky is $3.99, and I upgraded CalculatorPlus for $2.99 from the ad supported version.

I really missed Dark Sky when it was dropped from Android recently, and I'm thrilled to have it back. As for the calculator, it has an old-school look (I prefer the dark theme, available in settings) that I really appreciate and find exceptionally easy to use. The tape function is a bonus. Together, both are easily worth the 7 bucks I spent.

I also installed 2 speedometer apps, which I find very useful on my Harley. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try both.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have installed FF but it doesn't seem to be "registered" with iOS.  When presented with options for which browser to use I get Chrome or Safari, not FF, I haven't installed Chrome.

I'm looking at the home screen for Dark Sky.  Explain please why it's so compelling, Please.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

FF is not allowed use it's own engine on iOS. The question you're being asked is what engine to use. I would just tie it in to Safari.

I have not installed a browser yet, as I was really hoping to install Firefox Beta. However, you must be a beta registered user, and there's a waiting list for that. I signed up, but I'm guessing it will be a very long time before I'm eligible. I'll likely just install the current FF stable to get by.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I tried signing up but when it got to about 3 pages of "Terms" I quit.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Please tell me what you find so compelling about Dark Sky.  I looked at the home screen and some options but missed the exciting part.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

There is nothing exciting about Dark Sky. My preference is for simplicity, as well as accuracy. I realize that with weather predictions, accuracy is hit and miss. However, Dark Sky is often closer than anything else I've tried.

One thing I really missed when I lost the Dark Sky app in Android was being able to change the tabs directly under the hourly graph. When you scroll the tabs and select one, such as UV Index, you'll see the hourly prediction for that. That is very useful to me when I'm on the motorcycle. Now that I have the Dark Sky weather app once again, I won't go back to anything else.

IMHO, Dark Sky also has among the best radar maps.

From Dark Sky's website: "Dark Sky offers hyperlocal weather information. With down-to-the-minute forecasts, you’ll know exactly when the rain will start or stop — right where you’re standing. (It’s like magic.)"

From my experience with Dark Sky, I find that statement to be fairly accurate.