Date: 28 April 24, 04:20 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

I Am Unable to Reply by Email to Many Web Sites Because I Get This Popup

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

"Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed"

What does this mean and how do I get around this impediment? Anyone?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

For that to work, you have to associate an email client with the web browser. Each is different, so you have to go through the settings. It's something I haven't done in 10+ years, as I don't like the feature. But look through your browser's options to set it up.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Thanks for rapid replies scuzzy and ja, but I am not savvy enough to understand what you are suggesting. Could you explain in more detail please?

How it ever came to this puzzles me. With Windows XP and ATT Classic and IE 7 I never ever had this problem. The Internet always seems to take one step forward in one area followed by one step back in another area.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Before we get too far into this some additional information would be helpful.  How do you get email now?  For instance, if hypothetically, you have a Gmail account (or Yahoo or maybe your ISP provides an email account) how do you see the email?  Do you go online with a browser to look at it or is it delivered to your computer?  The two most frequently used local email clients used (I think) are Outlook (Microsoft)and Thunderbird (Mozilla).  Do you have one of those?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I go to my Emails via "att.net.Mail"

I am using Yahoo Mail Classic at present

Is this the info you are asking for?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I see nothing in Chrome about associating web sites.

Maybe I am not understanding your problem H.  What exactly do you mean when you said " I am unable to reply...."?  I interpret that as a Web site has sent you an email and using your ATT mail account you type out a responding email, hit send and then you get the pop-up about bad configuration?  Is that correct?  And where does the pop-up come from, the ATT mail account or your computer, if you know?  But on the surface it sounds like you should be talking to ATT.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

John,
Maybe its the word 'associate' that's my problem.  I have T-bird linked to my ISP mail server.  Under T-bird Tools>Account settings>Server settings, there are options to plug in your inbound and outbound server names.  Successfully doing that allows T-bird to download messages from Gmail or Yahoo or in your case ATT, automatically.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Well then, that's H's answer.  Set up a default email client.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but I have stuck with IE10, and I just copy the return reply URL and paste it on a Yahoo Classic email.