Date: 28 March 24, 03:16 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

can't get spring hinges to work

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Now that I've got the garage door back in shape, I want to figure out what is wrong with my spring hinges. Or maybe it's me. HD sells 2-way spring hinges for saloon doors. They swing both ways and are really nice for a hallway door that doesn't need a real door but just something to block the view.

I got 4 from hd and put 2 on the first door on and they worked perfect. I'm on my 2nd set for the other door and ready to throw in the towel. No matter how I attach them the top hinge sags from the plate so the door is crooked and won't line up with the other door. The spring uses a metal rod to tighten the internal spring but it snaps after a few turns. It's a china made thing and I'd be willing to pay more for one that is better made but can't find any. You can get cheaper and better springs but they only turn 90 degrees so you push in one direction and pull in the other. Not a good option if there is a lot of traffic.

I tried to paste a picture of the hinge but couldn't. How do you put a picture into a post? Thanks

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Can't help with the hinge issue but the photo poasting......

I use Photobucket dot com to upload a photo.  Photobucket will generate an image code  that starts with [IMG and ends with IMG
You copy that code and paste it in the poast and it will link the photo you your poast.

Like this:   

The code for that picture looks like this:

//img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/foxybill/crest1a.jpg[/img]  this is minus the beginnning code so you can see it.

Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

When you create a topic or reply to a message, click "Attachments and other options" (right below the message window).

Note that your attachment must be 64kb or smaller in size.

Bill's crest will show up like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

chopin,

You might want to look here:    http://tinyurl.com/psj4z2w

B
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks for the input. Bill, that site does show a picture, the $29 one. They're $18 at home depot. I'm thinking the hd ones are cheap chinese junk. I'd like to get stanley but can't find them in zinc. It's hard to articulate what happens, but I think the internal spring is just so weak when you attach it to the door the weight of it causes the outside of the hinge (which is connected to the spring) to pull, or sag, away from the spring. hd usually has better qualilty.