Forgot your password?

Blueskysea Motorcycle Dashcam

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I have been considering some sort of camera system for my Harley, but I was hesitant to spend north of $300 on a GoPro. The mounts and accessories would add more to the cost, and I'd have to install/remove the camera on each ride. Generic cameras are available at a much cheaper cost, but I hoped for better options. A setback to a GoPro type setup is that you generally have only one camera. Helmet mounts are available, but they can also create wind drag. Then there's dealing with batteries and other inconveniences.

Anyway, with my upcoming trip I began my search again and learned of dashcam setups for motorcycles. They are wired into the bike's ignition, have permanently mounted front and rear cameras, a control monitor, and continuous loop recording... just like in a car. One of my buddies installed one on his Harley (same year & model as mine), and it works quite well. On a recent trip, his cameras captured a scary moment in which a semi came close to taking out his group. The video is good quality, although it does not compare with a high-end GoPro.

I had my eyes on a Blueskysea DV988, which listed for $200 on Amazon. I was strongly considering getting one by the end of this month, and Amazon helped me make my decision today. As I checked the site, it was on a lightning deal (with 30 minutes to spare) for $160. It will arrive this Friday.

Amazon: Motorcycle Dashcam Camera, Blueskysea DV988

Here's a couple stills from my friend's front and rear cameras:

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Sounds like quite a deal. Also could be important documentation, but I'm certain you've considered that.
Downloading to your phone is a neat function as well.
Going to install it yourself?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I wasted an entire day mounting this garbage. Before installing it, I used a USB cable to power the unit in my kitchen to ensure it works. I connected the front and rear cameras, and all seemed fine. I then spent about 2 hours looking for the best place to mount the cameras, the remote, and the GPS antenna, as well as how I would route the cables for a clean look.

I disassembled my Harley to get to the wiring harness, and then removed the fuel tank to route cables underneath. I also tied in 3 wires for power, accessories, and ground. Needless to say, the entire event was a lot of effort. Once I got everything connected and the unit powered up I installed the app to my phone, which is where my frustration began. Despite multiple attempts, power down/up, rebooting, resetting, reinstalling the app, rebooting phone, etc., I could not get the video feed to transfer to my phone. After 2 hours of troubleshooting, I finally threw in the towel.

The trash is going back to Amazon for a refund. Looks like I'm buying a GoPro.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That's too bad, it had such potential. Do you think this was an Apple/Android issue?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm confident the problem does not lie within the phone. The camera is made in China, as is the poorly translated app. I really wanted it to work, but I was not completely surprised it failed.