Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That wasn't my idea of plain English :)  The one point made that I caught was that the i12 phones would probably handle LTE better.  If we can  believe the T-mo coverage map, South Carolina has 5G all over.  My router says 5G is present.  And the SE shows full strength signal.

There are 5G disclaimers on the T-Mo web site about availability and equipment versions.  Maybe the two lower priced i12s will have different or limited variety of 5G.  I really don't think I care, I am happy I have coverage.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

All of the iPhone 12s will support the more commonly available 5G across the nation (low to mid-band, currently dominated by T-Mobile in the USA), and the 2 top models (Pro maybe?) will additionally support 5G millimeter wave.

The fact that Apple is baking 5G support into their products is a big deal, compared to the hit-and-miss method of Android manufacturers up to this point. Not that carriers made it easy, but T-Mo took the lead and ran with it. I think that Apple's entrance into 5G, even if late, solidifies that 5G is here to stay and will only get better.

5G is still relatively new, so I don't think having immediate access is critical at the moment. However, if I'm going to have my next smartphone for years to come, then I may as well as take advantage of it. No doubt it will also make my phone more valuable should I choose to upgrade early.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Sounds like a plan to me.  When we switch to i12s if it's there and it works all the better.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit