Date: 13 May 24, 13:57 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

T6 problem

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Last evening I discovered my phone is set for vibrate only. Settings will not change and the ring volume slider will not move, there is the vibrate icon next to the slider and icon is also present on the top of the home page. 
T-Mo support was no help and they connected me with OnePlus support.  So far we have done a soft reset, a hard reset that wiped everything using the T-Mo switch app for backup.
The hard reset didn't work.  I am now waiting for OnePlus support to perform a "Flash".  Failing there there is a provision for them to send me a loner allowing me to send my device in for "factory service".
If the small iphone were available now I'd just go buy it. 
The other option might be to buy an inexpensive T-Mo phone to use until Apple releases new devices.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

That just sucks, and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Unfortunately, the iPhone 12 is not expected to be available until October, and maybe into November.

If worse comes to worse, you can get an iPhone SE 2nd Gen (4.7") for $399 to hold you over, or splurge on an iPhone 11 (5.8") for $699 (Costco price is $649 last time I looked). The iPhone 11 is a damn nice phone, but if you can muddle through I'd recommend to hold out for an iPhone 12. The nice thing about iPhones is that they hold their value much better than Android phones, so you could likely recover a good amount.

Just a thought, make sure iOS is what you want before you commit. Aside from a new OS and hardware, think about charging cables, apps, etc. For example, your paid Google apps and subscriptions won't carry over. On the positive side, iOS and its associated hardware is exceptionally well supported.

One other thought is when you are sold an iPhone, the salesperson will try to upsell AppleCare+. I probably won't get it for myself, but likely will for my wife who can be brutal with phones.

If you are seriously considering iOS, I recommend you go ahead and sign up for an Apple ID. I still have mine from my days in the S.O., so will use that.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.  But truth is it's hard for me to know if I want iOS without having used it.  The first purchase will have to be on blind faith.
The only paid app I have is the weather channel, remember I'm Scottish.  If I buy the SE, by the time the i12s come out I will know if I want to continue with iOS or rush back to Android. So the experiment might cost me $400 =/-.

I started with OnePlus about 9am, now 1:00pm and I haven't heard from their tech support about doing the Flash.
The soonest I can get to the T-mo store is tomorrow.  So I will bide my time to see what happens. But one way or another I will have a working phone tomorrow! I'm going to buy a wallet like case that covers the keypad for which ever device I have tomorrow.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Have you heard of www.swappa.com? I've used it in the past with great results. Anyway, remember I said about iPhones holding their value well? A used iPhone SE (2nd gen, 64GB) is selling for $360 to $385. After commission fees, you could probably recover as much as $350-ish.

Just keep in mind that the SE (4.7") is an entry-level phone, so you'll have to temper your expectations. We were issued iPhone 5 phones when I was in the S.O., and it was sometimes difficult to use because of the small screen (4.0" at the time).

I've already made up my mind to buy an iPhone 12, and I see myself as someone who will never return to Android.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, again.  If I like iOS and buy a i12, swappa could offset some of my initial SE costs.  That just sweetened the deal.  I will pay attention when I look at the SE screen.

And I can remember you raising the dickens until they bought you something else!

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

When I joined the Tech Team, they wanted to issue iPhones to us. We complained and they gave us Android instead. However, I was issued an iPhone 5 when I returned as a contractor and I had no recourse. I was not happy, but I admit that much of it was my dislike for Apple. Either way, I simply cannot support Android anymore. I'm sure I'll adjust.

The physical dimensions of the iPhone 12 (5.4") will be smaller than that of the iPhone SE 2nd Gen. The iPhone 12 (5.4") will be a compact 5.15" x 2.51", vs the SE's 5.43" x 2.65". For reference your 6T is 6.20" x 2.94".

The iPhone 12 (6.1") will be 5.78" x 2.81", compared to my Note 9 at 6.37" x 3.01". That could well win me over. My wife's Galaxy S9 (5.8") is 5.81" x 2.7", and I'm perfectly okay with that size. Now I'm getting excited. :)

My daughter has the 1st gen SE, and it has a 4" screen. Like your daughter, she also uses it as her primary computer. Of course, it helps that she's only 24.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

OnePlus appears to have abandoned me. They were supposed to call me back with a super duper tech who was going to Flash the os - never called.  I am prepared to dump the T6 today. T-mo opens in about an  hour and I am going shopping.
I have discovered the there is a version of Gmail, now newly improved, for iOS which should help the transition.  There is also a Firefox version, I've never seen Safari. I am sort of excited too.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

My understanding is that you can easily access your Google account (contacts, etc.) in iOS. No doubt the T-Mo rep can give some pointers. I have not looked, but I'm betting there are YouTube videos to help Android users to make the switch to iOS.

FF is available for iOS, but I've read that all 3rd party browsers must use the Safari engine. It shouldn't matter as far as user experience is concerned.

If you're gonna get an iPhone, don't forget to sign up for an Apple ID.

I read in MacRumors that Apple may release the iPhone 12 in two stages, beginning with the two versions of the 6.1" model, and then followed by the 5.4" and 6.7" models.

buffalo2102

Master Poaster
Posts 1339
Report to moderator

• Just for Ace...

I don't like Apple too but I have no love for Google either.

I have ipads (through work) and my daughter uses an iphone SE so I am familiar with iOS but I'm sticking with Android for my phone for several reasons;

1.  I like the versatility and customisation of Android.
    2.  I have 2 sims and Apple don't do a dual-sim iphone outside China.
    3.  The cost of a new (or even 2nd hand) iphone is simply staggering.

Good luck though Bill.   ;D
Windows 10 Pro x64. AMD Ryzen 7 3800X.  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.  16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800MHz. MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800 XT.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Buff, I can understand why you need to keep Android around. Thankfully I have some flexibility on my end. I have never been an Apple fan, but I must admit that there are things about iOS that I like. What I don't like it that it's a very closed system with limited customization options.

I've mentioned this already, but to wrap it up in one place:

In the USA it is next to impossible to find a decent Android phone that does not have a screen larger than 6". I am so tired of carrying around my massive Galaxy Note 9, and Samsung has only made things worse. Google's Pixel line seems to be the only option, but reality is that their phones leave much to be desired. The only thing they seem to get right is the camera, which doesn't mean much to me.

There is no consistency in Android with manufacturers, even within the same manufacturer across their product line, and most manufacturers butcher stock Android with their own software. For example, almost every manufacturer has their own idea of how a dialer should work, as well as messaging. Nevermind that stock Android already has both.

Everything else on an Android phone, such as the home screen, camera software, etc., is ridiculously all over the place. Future OS updates? All over the place, and not likely in the consumer's favor. Support from the manufacturer? Don't expect much, and don't hold your breath. Security updates? Eh, okay. Maybe for 2 to 3 years. Oh, your $999 Android phone is 2 years old? So sorry, but we no longer support that phone. Let me sell you this shiny, new phone for $1,299. We promise you'll get at least one OS upgrade. Eventually.

I know iPhones aren't perfect, but most of my complaints above are answered by Apple. There is consistency across all models, there's excellent syncing between products (e.g., iPhone, iPad & Apple Watch), you'll get timely updates for at least 5 years, and they stand behind their products.

I'll be sporting an iPhone 12 by the end of this year.

buffalo2102

Master Poaster
Posts 1339
Report to moderator

• Just for Ace...

Can't argue with any of that.  The trend for growing screen sizes is a particular irritation for me too.

I've never really subscribed to the notion that you have to spend a fortune to get a decent phone.  Because of my dual-sim requirement my options have always been quite narrow anyway and the models available are mostly from manufacturers that are little known outside of China (with the exception of Samsung).  As a result, I've never paid more than around $150 for a phone.  Granted, I've probably had more of them and some have had some pretty annoying defects but overall I've been very pleased and the standard has really improved over the last few years.  None of them have had any bloat over the stock Android.  My last 2 phones have been amazing and I'd happily stack them up against the latest Samsung Galaxy etc..

My current phone cost less than £100.  It's dual sim, 6 inch screen (the largest I will go to), 13Mp camera, 64Gb memory, stock Android 9, finger print sensor, etc..  There is little warranty and if I want to get it repaired I would have to send it to China.  Equally, if it does break I won't cry about it - I'll just buy another.

I've actually been offered a new iphone by work but refused it.  I've got some strange looks for that.   ???
Windows 10 Pro x64. AMD Ryzen 7 3800X.  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.  16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800MHz. MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800 XT.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I've seen some decent online options from Xiaomi, Honor and others, but they have too many limitations for my needs on T-Mobile. This is even more important now with T-Mo's recent acquisition of Sprint and its frequencies, ongoing 600 MHz rollout, and ongoing standalone 5G rollout. I need a phone that will support those changes (iPhone 12 will), which rules out all phones not designed with T-Mo's network in mind.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Well my good news is I think the SE is the perfect size. The keyboard is big enough to actually use and the "little" screen is readable.
The better news is the T-Mo rep. in the store fixed my 6T, in about a minute. There is an external switch I didn't even know existed that controls ring/vibrate/silent. He said he has the same phone and had the same problem. Left the store without spending a dime but I am convinced that come the new phone release, I will have one.

Buff, thanks for the good wishes.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Wow, that was an easy fix and I'm very happy to hear it's resolved. You'd think T-Mo would have been on top of that.

I have not seen an iPhone SE 2nd Gen up close, as my daughter has a 1st gen with only a 4" screen. Either way, I'm sure a 5.4" screen will work perfectly fine for me. Hopefully I won't have to wait long. I'd hate to get antsy and buy the 6.1" model before the 5.4" is available.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I understand completely. I left the Store actually disappointed, I like the SE.  I like the 6T but the more I use it the less I like it.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

If the iPhone 12 6.1" is released before the 5.4", then I need to hold my breath. Lol

After reading The Verge: Apple iPhone SE 2020 Review: Everything You Need, it's tempting to ditch my Note 9 for an iPhone SE, and then hold out for the iPhone 12 at some later date. I am seriously toying with the idea, especially with my upcoming MC trip. I'm not keen on lugging my Note 9 across the country again.

There's no 5G on the SE, but reality is that I can hold out. I don't have it now, so it's not like I'll miss it. The camera is plenty good for my needs, even with the few drawbacks. There's no aux jack, but I have never used the one on my 2-year-old Note 9 anyway. On the plus side it supports wireless charging, which I use often, and the A13 Bionic chipset is expected to be supported another 5 years or so.

It isn't waterproof, but it is water resistant. That's an important consideration since my phone is often exposed to the weather on my Harley, but it's not like it's going to get soaked either.

Scuzzy; what to do?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I expressed that very thought to a friend this morning. I mentioned earlier that I was disappointed when I left the store. I don't have a pressing need but I think I'd like to have it. And, it's not like I'm buying a $1000 1911.

Go look at the SE, it will make your decision easier.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I probably won't make a special trip, but next time I'm in the area I'll stop in at my local T-Mo and take a look.

My mind is made up that I will definitely move to iPhone. The question is when, although it will be sooner rather than later. Without knowing how happy I'll be with iOS all together, I know I'm done with Android for the foreseeable future.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I already have, but we got off to a rocky start.  The dufus I had for a rep couldn't figure out what to do with my 2nd email address.  Three hours later, I left the store and when I got home realized they didn't activate my SIM.  I also discovered they didn't import any of my SMS texts, although I asked for it.  I finally got T-Mo service by dialing 611 and help arrived in the form of a lady whose first language is english.  She activated my SIM, walked me through Wi-Fi on the phone and generally provided some orientation that should have happened at the store.

Now I can make wi-fi calls, send and receive messages and emails are arriving using 2 different apps, Gmail and Outlook. I am going to try to combine both emails with the Gmail "add an account" tomorrow.
And make another trip to the Store to get my SMS texts tranferred.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Very nice, aside from the rocky start. Now I'm envious, but will eagerly await your report. Anyway, I'm happy for you and I hope you can get the irritations resolved quickly.

As dumb luck would have it, my wife wanted to go to our local Safeway grocery store, which is immediately next door to T-Mo in the same plaza. Naturally I tagged along. I saw the iPhone SE and played around with it for some time, and I was impressed. I was so impressed that I was ready to buy the phone on the spot, except for one little problem.

I mistakenly thought my Note 9 was paid off, but there's a $30 balance left. Not a big deal, as I could easily cover it. However, my extended payment plan is that I pay $9 a month, and T-Mobile covers $21 per billing cycle. If I pay it off now, I must cover all of the remaining $30 balance. By waiting until my next billing period (7 more days), I only have to pay my usual $9 and then I'm done. So the cheap guy inside me won out.

I still have a bit of a dilemma, and that's if I should just wait for the iPhone 12 5.4". If I do, that means dragging the Note 9 to the east coast and back. Odds are I'll probably get impatient and buy the SE. I wish the iPhone 12 was available now.

BTW, I use SMS Backup+ to backup my SMS, MMS and call history to gmail. It appears to have a low rating, but it has worked fine for me. A better rated app is SMS Backup & Restore. Both apps are free. If you just want a permanent record of your SMS messages, this is probably all you need.

This might save you a trip to the store: How to Transfer Text Messages from Android to iPhone...

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I'm sure $30 isn't going to be a deal breaker, buy the phone.  This morning things are better, received a couple of emails and texts, Wi-fi is still connected and I'm getting used to this new system, slowly. A permanent record of texts is really not the issue, I just find it easier to continue ongoing conversations rather than start new ones.

I will take a look at your link, thanks.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I have not used SMS Backup+ in awhile, so I read the reviews to see what the problem is. Apparently it's a Google issue and the app is no longer working properly. I just checked, and it's not working for me either. :(

EDIT: I just tried SMS Backup & Restore. I like how SMS Backup+ worked instead, which backed up my SMS to gmail and gave me readable text messages in gmail. SMS Backup & Restore backed up my messages to Google Drive, but it's unreadable gibberish.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No. It was an issue before the Sim was activated but after T-mo did that by phone and we ended the call wi-fi turned on and stayed on. The tech thought turning it on while we were on the phone was an issue. Now its fine.

I tried the Send Anywhere app, made the connection and tried, apple says cannot accept this message format.
I've decided it isn't really that important.  I know SMS is working, I exchanged texts with the daughter last night and received one from George this am.  All seems to be well.
Thanks for all your effort and help.
I did discover a helpful app in the process.  iPhone has a "raise to wake" feature that is very helpful.  Pickup the phone and the screen lights up, push one button and I'm in.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Did you get the base 64GB model? I asked for a 128GB ($450), and was told it would have to be special ordered. I can get by with 64GB, but would prefer 128GB (mostly to ensure upgrades years down the road). My wife on the other hand probably needs 128GB minimum.

I may as well order it myself online and save on the store fees, as I don't have much to transfer anyway. I use Google Voice for messaging, which I mostly access online. I just looked at my carrier's SMS, and I only have a couple messages from 2 years ago. I also don't store photos on my phone, preferring to back them up to Google Photos.

The only thing I really have on my phone is my music (just shy of 1,000 songs), but I'll have to use iTunes to manage music on an iPhone anyway. To get ahead of the game, I already installed iTunes on my computer and transferred my playlist. All I need now is an iPhone. Lol

Thanks for the advice on the wake feature. I can see how that would be useful.

Does the speakerphone meet your needs?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The speakerphone is great, both volume and clarity.  I had no problem talking and understanding the T-mo rep.  In fact I had to turn the volume down a little. And my hearing is not getting better.

The other fact I wanted to mention is the CPU, the Bionic something is very quick, way out paces the 6T.  Downloading and installing apps is almost instantly accomplished.

One shortfall for me is an owners manual, seems they don't exist; or I haven't found one. Things like rearranging the icons would seem obvious but it's not.  I can delete or change position on the screen but I haven't figured out how to move them between pages. I'd like frequently used ones grouped together, and I don't give a hoot about My Health app.  Guess I can call the help line.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Take a look at this YouTube tutorial: iPhone SE (2020) - First 15 Things To Do! I found it quite useful, but there's plenty of others available.

Grouping icons into folders is easy; just drag one icon atop another.

With my youngest still at home, I have an instant tutor available. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I'll remember that.  Times like these I wish my daughter was closer.
It's the simple things that are so frustrating.  Earlier today, for instance, I missed 2 calls, both left voice mail and when I open the phone page, the VM icon is blue. However, when I push on the icon, nothing happened. Several times in a row, maddening.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Well, you are learning a new trick, but it won't be long before it's natural to you. I manage my voicemails with Google Voice, but no doubt I'll have my own learning curves to deal with.

I'm going to wait a week and then place my order online. I just want to have it before my MC trip next month, so delaying 7 days won't kill me. I'll probably order an SE with 128GB storage, and my youngest already told me she wants it when I upgrade to the iPhone 12.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Good for you, that sounds like a plan. 
Just for future reference I found an early 2020 owners manual for iOS 13.6 which I think is the latest.
https://books.apple.com/book/id1464778115

Doesn't look like it's SE specific but I haven't yet gotten past the front page. I'll let you know how I get on.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The short and quick way to solve a problem is dial 611 for T-mo help.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'd rather call 911 for help. Lol

I believe I mentioned that I will buy the SE, and I will then pass it on to my daughter when the iPhone 12 becomes available.

I went to Costco today to look at iPhones, and my daughter tagged along. The Costco prices are much better than what T-Mobile offers. My daughter was hoping to get the 128GB version in white, and the Costco price is $438 out-the-door, with activated SIM card. T-Mobile's lowest price was $491 for the same. Unfortunately, Costco only had the 128GB model in black.

EDIT: My daughter decided on the 64GB model, since Costco has it in white. The Costco price is $395 out-the-door, with activated SIM card. She has an Apple iCloud account, so the local storage is a non-issue for her. Besides, the new 64GB SE is double the storage of her old 32GB SE.

I'll return to Costco later in the week to pick one up.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yesterday Apple did an update to iOS 13.6 and there is now a user guide included.  However for a newbe 611 is easier, real time help. I am now up to par with what I could do with Android. 
The only thing remaining is to install FF and try some surfing. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I am absolutely happy I made the change.  In fact I'm anxious to see what the 2020 new ones, particularly the small one has to offer.  The smaller size SE is a great improvement over the 6T and the difference in screen size is just not an issue.  The one issue I have is the keyboard size.  First time I looked at the SE, the unit they showed me had a Keyboard the almost filled the screen.  I am going to explore that...I recall somewhere something about enlarging particular functions???

I don't watch movies or you tube on my phone, that's what my computer, and now, my TV are for.

BTW I joined swappa but didn't see any SEs there. Maybe by the time the new ones are available, the word will have spread about how great the SE actually is creating a market for used ones.

Good luck with Costco.......

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Try this:

1. From the home screen, tap Settings.
2. Scroll to and tap General.
3. Tap Accessibility.
4. Tap Larger Text.
5. Tap and drag the slider to the preferred text size.

To adjust the keyboard settings:

1. Open an app that uses the keyboard, like Messages or Mail.
2. Touch and hold the smiley face or the world icon.
3. Tap Keyboard Settings.
4. Then customize your settings.

Edit: I found the solution: How To Make The Keyboard Bigger On All iPhones

I also recall advice in one of the videos to enable BOLD text, as it's suppose to really help in sunlight.

I rarely playback videos on my smartphone. Like you, that's what my computers and TVs are for. I'm more interested in making phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, checking the time/weather/traffic, and occasionally taking photos. Even GPS is not a big deal to me. I can take it or leave it.

As for Swappa, it's not always easy to maneuver until you figure it out. Look here: Apple iPhone SE 2nd Gen T-Mobile

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, that made a big difference. And if you can use the messaging app in the horizontal it's bigger yet.

I was curious about pricing on Swappa, now I see.  That makes the thought of buying another new phone in 3-4 months less painful.