Forgot your password?

Firefox Zoom Values

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I use Firefox as my primary browser, and I often find myself zooming in/out of web pages. But I find the default zoom values are somewhat limiting. Fortunately it is easy enough to create your own custom value list.

NOTE: The easiest way to zoom in/out while on a web page is by using the combination keyboard shortcuts "Ctrl +" and "Ctrl -", which respectively increase and decrease the zoom levels. The combination shortcut "Ctrl 0" (zero) resets the zoom value to the defaul level (normally 100%, unless you changed it in Firefox options). Any changes to the zoom level for a particular web page will be kept until you reset it, even if you restart Firefox.

By default, Firefox zoom values are set to: .3,.5,.67,.8,.9,1,1.1,1.2,1.33,1.5,1.7,2,2.4,3

These default values allow the user to zoom from 30% to 300%, using 14 predefined levels. As examples: .67 equals 67%, and 1.33 equals 133%. All values must be separated with a comma.

I changed the zoom values on my Firefox browser to:

.3,.35,.4,.45,.5,.55,.6,.65,.7,.75,.8,.85,.9,.95,1,1.05,1.1,1.15,1.2,1.25,1.3,1.35,1.4,1.45,1.5,1.55,1.6,1.65,1.7,1.75,1.8,1.85,1.95,2,2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,3

This change allows me to zoom from 30% to 300% with 43 predefined levels; most 5% apart from each other. This gives me far more options on the zoom levels, and provides a much smoother experience. (I omitted 1.9 and 2.9, as they normally don't work for me.)

To change the zoom values, enter "about:config" (without the quotes) into the address bar. Inside the search bar, type in "zoomValues" (without the quotes). Double-click the line "toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues" (or use the edit icon on the right) to bring up the zoomValues entry box, and then copy/paste the above values into the box. You can then press enter, or click the check mark icon.

Once you make the adjustments in the zoomValues box, click OK and then close out the configuration tab. The new changes are automatically saved, but you may need to restart Firefox to take advantage of the new defaults.

If you wish to create your own custom value list, I recommend using a text editor and then copy/paste it into the zoomValues box. This will make it much easier than trying to do it one-by-one in the zoomValues box. Keep in mind that Firefox will not zoom lower than 30%, or higher than 300%, and make sure that each value is separated by a comma.

BONUS: When you increase or decrease your default zoom, you'll see the new value at the end of the address bar. The value is not displayed for the default zoom level.