Forgot your password?

AMD Ryzen

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm toying with the idea of building another computer in the next two or three years, possibly an AMD Ryzen build.

It'd be nice to have 2 onboard modern M.2 SSD drives, with possibly the next new thing in RAM. Onboard USB 3.1 & 3.2, and Type-C would be a big plus.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

This sounds interesting but a win 10 project. Why not think about going retro? You know you prefer w7. And, you now know you can load W7 on an M-2!  AMD Ryzen less expensive than Intel? I have no frame of reference.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I still prefer W7 over 10, but I'll admit I have concerns that it's at the end of its life cycle for updates and support.

I have not had an AMD build in several years. From what I see, AMD has been pulling away from Intel in both performance and value. Still, I could easily change my mind in the next year or two.

carskick

xTreme Poaster
Posts 2794
Report to moderator

• Neighborhood Computer Supprt
I've been kind of considering the same thing. Currently running an i5-8400, which is fine. But the Ryzen 3700x on a 470x platform is very tempting. I wouldn't do the 570x personally, as your paying more only to gain PCIe 4.0, and then you have to deal with a southbridge chipset fan.  ::)

Scuzzy, have you tried the latest 1903 Windows 10 along with Classic Shell configured to make the Start Menu work like Windows 7? Works quite well, IMHO.
Current Primary PC:
AMD 5800X | MSI X570 Carbon | G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3600 16-19-19-39 | MSI GamerZ RTX 3070 | ADATA 8200 Pro 1TB NVME | Micron 1100 2TB SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB | Seasonic Gold 750 Watt | Fractal Define S Case w/Tempered Glass | Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler | Sound Blaster Z | Noctua 4x 140mm, 1x 120mm Chromax | Pixio PX7 & PX275H Monitors

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The Windows 10 interface isn't the problem. I have no issues navigating the interface, as I've been using it for several years now. What I don't like is some of the built-in behaviors, such as shoving updates down my throat.

Once in awhile after an update, some of my preferences get reset to whatever Microsoft thinks is best for me. For example, this morning I went to play an MP3 file, just to find out that Windows 10 reset the default program to Groove Music. I find this behavior despicable.

BTW: I fully agree on the southbridge chipset fan. That's the last thing I want to deal with.

carskick

xTreme Poaster
Posts 2794
Report to moderator

I agree, there is some built in annoyances. For examples every time Win 10 does a major update, my Sound Blaster Z Sound Card Control Panel forgets EVERY SETTING, including EQ curves, configuration, etc. What a pain! Also, Network Sharing settings reset, default programs, etc.

I think with Pro you have more control with Update settings, but you essentially have to buy a higher end version just to control when they give you updates.

That all being said, these issues aren't enough to force me into sticking with Win 7. I held out for a year after 10 was released, but then I converted.
Current Primary PC:
AMD 5800X | MSI X570 Carbon | G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3600 16-19-19-39 | MSI GamerZ RTX 3070 | ADATA 8200 Pro 1TB NVME | Micron 1100 2TB SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB | Seasonic Gold 750 Watt | Fractal Define S Case w/Tempered Glass | Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler | Sound Blaster Z | Noctua 4x 140mm, 1x 120mm Chromax | Pixio PX7 & PX275H Monitors

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

A year later and I'm still toying with this thought. What I currently have works well and meets my needs, but a Ryzen build on a B550 chipset motherboard with onboard WiFi 6 seems tempting.

I've noticed that many of the newer cases no longer support optical drives, and I wonder how much this matters. I like the idea of a CD/DVD writer, but reality is that I have not used mine in over a year, and even then it was for something frivolous. I have not written to a CD/DVD since my days on Patrol over 3 years ago.

A pair of M.2 NVMe drives on the mobo still appeals to me; a dedicated 500 GB PCIe 4.0 x4 stick for the operating system, followed by a PCIe 3.0 x4 dedicated terabyte of storage (tied in to my Google Drive & Dropbox accounts). Let's throw in a fat SATA SSD for good measure. Of course, I'll need lots of RAM and a video card fast enough to burn the barn doors off a Porsche on steroids. Lol

Scuzzy; burning the barn doors off of my wallet.

AnandTech: The ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard Review...

carskick

xTreme Poaster
Posts 2794
Report to moderator

I know it's been a few months, but I'm guessing you still haven't built your new Ryzen PC! ;)

At this point, might as well wait for Zen 3, which should be out soon. Wait until the RTX 30xx nonsense calms down, and do an RTX 3070/3080 with Ryzen 4xxx build. I figured you'd like the fanless B550 platform. I mentioned before the tiny fan hardly comes on in my build. I can never hear it, but it occasionally kicks on with heavy extended gaming loads, as it gets heated by the video card. This will probably be worse when I get my RTX 3080, as it's a furnace. Currently, I have 120 to 140mm Noctua Fans all over the case, but set to very low fan curves to keep the system as silent as possible. This eventually causes a "heat soak" effect near the video card, causing the chipset temps to actually get high enough to kick on my Chipset fan at 60C.

I'm currently trying to snag an Asus RTX 3080 TUF, but inventory is very scarce. That being said, it'll fill up my case quite a bit, coming within an inch of the front fans. I'll be curious how this 320 Watt card works in my case with the current fan profiles. I may end up changing this up once I get the card. But I am considering setting lower power limits and undervolting. An RTX 3080 is really more power than I need most of the time, so I may try to tune it to stay cooler and quieter than stock. Can't wait!

But I think this Holiday season will be a good time for a new build!
Current Primary PC: