Date: 29 March 24, 00:35 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Beep codes, flashing LED, PC not working.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi All.

It's been a LONG time since I've posted! Nice to be back! Hope everybody's fine.

Onto my issue. My PC suddenly started to act up. Two short beeps about two seconds apart and repeated non-stop. They weren't the usual sharp high pitched beeps but more like muffled beeps. Also, the activity LED repeatedly flashed 3 short flashes a pause and then 4 short flashes.

This carried on for about a day or so and I just ignored it, but then the PC wouldn't start up. It wouldn't go past the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message. I was able to access BIOS though.

I have tried removing the video card and the RAM from the motherboard and re-attaching. I have also tried two RAM in two slots and two different RAM in two different slots to rule out RAM or RAM slot issues. The PC has both SATA and IDE drives but the same problem with both, so that rules out interface-specific issues. I have changed the motherboard battery also. I checked some of the values in BIOS (see below).

(Award BIOS v6 00PG)
V core = 1.524v
DDR3 1.5v = 1.500v
+12v = 11.952v
+3.3v = 3.441v
Current system temperature = 34 degrees C
Current CPU temperature = 41 degrees C
Current CPU fan speed = 1548 RPM
Current system fan speed = 248 RPM
Normal CPU V core = 1.4750v
Normal CPU V core NB = 1.1500v

I decided to try again a short while ago and it decided to work this time, so I am quickly poasting this poast whilst I can! Just when I said that the PC froze! Luckily a restart worked and my browser had saved my text! This is another symptom which has only just appeared in the last two or so days, completely freezing apart from the mouse arrow. I also got a different symptom whilst typing this, several short beeps and flashing of the LED but this has only happened once.

Based on the above info, what can I rule out for certain and what else could I try to fix the problem?

I am not sure what other relevant specs I need to mention.

Thanks for any help.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

The malfunction beep codes vary between motherboard manufacturers, but your troubleshooting skills are on point. You pretty much did all the things I would have started out with. If you have the motherboard manual, there should be a troubleshooting section to explain what the beeps signify. If you don't have the manual, it should be easy to find at the manufacturer's website.

Taking a quick look here suggests a possible memory issue: AwardBIOS Beep Code Troubleshooting

Does your motherboard have onboard video? If so, you could also try bypassing the video card to rule that out.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi scuzzy. Thank you for your reply.

Looks like we're on the same wavelength. I had already seen that website and looked at my motherboard's manual! Also, the one other thing which I had thought of trying but didn't was bypassing the video card! Haha.

The motherboard's manual didn't have much info on beep codes and wasn't very helpful, but I had searched the net for codes, however, didn't find any of relevance.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-usb3-r2_e.pdf

Yes, it has onboard video, but the reason I didn't try the onboard video was that at that time, at least I could get as far as the message I reached and I didn't want to risk the PC not coming on at all, but I could try it on the next occasion it happens.

Thanks, will poast back if I learn anything.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks scuzzy. Yes, it can be a pain in the arm, can't it? Haha.