Date: 12 May 24, 14:00 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Top 100

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Rolling Stone magazine has released its top 100 guitarists of all time.

Phew, lots of clicking to get through it all. I do agree with number one , but would move a few others around a little.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I went down the list figuring that #1 would be either Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton. But I also thought Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Mark Knopfler would have been much closer to the top, as in the top 10. Joe Walsh and Angus Young were also too far down the list for my taste. And how could Jeff Baxter be left out? I was also surprised Glen Campbell didn't make the list. Maybe he was #101?

I love Bonnie Raitt and IMHO she is unquestionably good. But top 100? As in better than Jeff Baxter? Did I miss something? I'm thinking George Thorogood would also be worth a mention.

Scuzzy; it was nice to see Steve Cropper on the list.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

Thurston Moore?  Ok, sure.  If you say so.

I found some of the "groupings" pretty funny...  Johnny Ramone with Chet Atkins.  Probably couldn't tell those two apart, on the radio. 
I've seen Stephen Stills live, but would not think of him as a great guitarist.  I would've made sure Bill Nelson of BeBop Deluxe got in, somewhere.  And Keith Richards above Jeff Beck...?  Any listing of Jeff Beck beyond #2 is off base. 

I found it difficult to "see" them all, to really absorb who's in and who's out.  Plus, obviously, the "rankings" really aren't meaningful... No idea what "criteria" the judges followed, but not much of any from the looks of it.  As far as I can tell, a lot of people heard Elmore James and copied bits, but no idea who actually listens to him...  I'm sure I'll think of other "hey, what about..." and scratch my head when I notice others actually on it.

Duane Allman could fill in for Skunk Baxter, at least by moustache.  Hendrix is Hendrix, so by innovation and trend setting, especially in a 3 year career, he's like no one else. 

Ace; I wonder if the judges could vote for themselves... 

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

You know, I finally bought the issue. Was lucky enough to get a Hendrix cover (saw a different one with Eddie VH).

Still not the easiest thing to see, to figure who all was included, and who was excluded.  I would be expecting the Top 100 (ever) to be Influential.  Iconic.  Trendsetting.  Which makes me doubt the credentials of Thurston Moore, Prince, Peter Buck.  Nels Cline. Jonny Greenwood. I'm really wary of guitarists from bands with 3 guitarists, being "the" guitarist of note.  Unless it's the Beatles.  And Joni Mitchell?  Oh c'mon.
MIA?  Try these:

*Yngwie Malmsteen.  If ever there was an influential, game-over stylist, it's him.  He took what Richie Blackmore started, out of orbit, as Keith Richards did with Chuck Berry.  I've seen a couple virtuosos: one was Eddie VanHalen, and another was Yngwie.
*Eric Johnson.  Eclectic, and beyond comprehension in composition, tone, and fluidity.
*Steve Vai.  By himself, with Whitesnake, with David Lee Roth.  Of another world.
*Joe Satriani. Brought back the instrumental, and a noteforthy lead guitarist.  If you're paying attention, that's pretty much any G3 tour, to date.
*Vernon Reid.  Rock-funk-symphonic.  If Hendrix was alive today, I believe this would be him.
*Steve Stevens.  Billy Idol's muse; merged rock punk rockabilly pop.  And the best ray gun effect, ever.  He drives that bus.
*Bill Nelson.  Mentioned him before, as the new world order from BeBop Deluxe.  Riveting.
*Jorma Kaukonen.  Lead from Jefferson Airplane, as well as the country-blues of Hot Tuna.  Jack Casady's foil, and distinctive with his staccato keening fuzzed psychedelic blues.  Just listen to his wah wail on their cover of "Wooden Ships" by CSN.
*Nokie Edwards.  Ventures lead; facility, melody, the primary voice of the guitar - between the 50's and the Beatles, and Hendrix.
*Billy Corgan.  Smashing Pumpkins.  Crushing, delicate, and able to bend it double.
*Kirk Hammett.  James Hetfield made the cut, on rhythm.  This is the guy who takes over, from him, in Metallica.
*Paul McCartney.  Remember, he originally played guitar and only took over bass with the death of Stu Sutcliffe.  There are two solos on Sgt. Pepper, and they're his. If John and George made it, then I think he should too.
*Brian Setzer.  Stray Cats, and the big band.  Two trends he started, and mastered...
*Jerry Cantrell.  Alice in Chains; he was as influential as any grunger, with a return to 70's era slam.
*John Petrucci.  With Dream Theater; he is breathtaking in his scope and creativity, in the Prog world.  Another G3 tourist.

Looking at the list of judges, I think they drew straws and voted for themselves.  And should Lindsey Buckingham be the bottom one?  I don't hardly think so.

Ace; I'm pretty sure if they stretched it a bit past 100 I coulda had a shot.