Date: 13 May 24, 15:22 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

can cell phone charge port be fixed?

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I have an LG that's less than 2 years old. The charge port won't accept the cable, probably because the person using it tried to push it in the wrong way. It goes in partially and will go no further. I tried bending it a little with a screwdriver but it's so small I really don't know what I'm doing. It doesn't look bent. Can i replace the port without too much of a hassle?

On utube it shows you how to charge by cutting and striping the wires on the cable, then connecting to the + and - terminals after removing the battery. This works but it takes time to get the tiny wires in place, put the battery back in, then plug it into the computer via usb. It said not to plug it into a wall socket but didn't say wihy. Why? It would be a lot more convenient in a wall socket. Thanks for any input.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I don't have an answer to the first question but my guess is no.  The answer to the second is because the phone battery doesn't operate with 110 volts, its a much lower rating. Plugging in to the wall socket would fry the battery and the phone.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

But the way I normally charge my cell phone is through the wall socket, not the computer.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

But somewhere between the wall and phone is a transformer, very small in size, that reduces the 110 voltage to whatever the phone uses.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I think Chopin's question is why can't he use the wall charger to charge the battery. I don't think he meant plugging the battery directly to the wall outlet.

Chopin, I'm not familiar with the method you described. Regardless I'm no expert in the matter. But my guess for the warning is that wall charger tend to put out more amperage than charging through a computer's USB port.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Oh, sorry I misunderstood.  Some of my past phones did as I described. 

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Yes, charging it thru the wall would use the same adapter, of course. The cable has 4 wires, green, red, black and what appears to be a ground. You strip only the red and black and attach those to the terminals inside the phone, then put the battery back in on top of those. I guess there must be something about not having those other 2 wires that makes it not able to use the little transformer & wall plug.

Anyway, its a straight talk phone for my SO. They offered to give her a new galaxy precedent for free if she continues the $45/mo plan. So it got here this morning & I'm charging it now. Should have it activated and running by tonight. I'm wondering if she could use both phones but I think you can have only one activated phone on one account. She can still transfer all her data to the new phone though.