Forgot your password?

Windows 7 Pro Space Hog

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I have Win 7 Pro installed on my laptop, which is rarely used. Today I turned it on just to do some routine updates and maintenance; no big deal. After finishing, I rebooted the laptop and then cleaned out the unneeded system files.

Keep in mind that I keep my systems exceptionally clean and free of garbage. I'm very thoughtful as to what programs get installed, etc., and I maintain my data files on separate storage devices, as well as to Dropbox. I never store my files on the same drive used by the OS.

One of my biggest beefs with Windows 7 is the enormous amount of space it takes up on the drive. After a thorough cleaning, the OS is taking up a whopping 60+GB. I find this intolerable. There is no logical reason that I can think of for Win 7 to be so damn fat, especially considering how much effort I put into keeping the system lean.

Another problem that I find extremely annoying with Win 7 updates is how long they take, and that they sometimes cripple my laptop when they are installing. Since poasting this, an update caught me unawares. It's been stuck in the "rebooting" stage now for over 10 minutes with the infamous "Configuring Windows updates - 100% complete - Do not turn off your computer" message stuck on my screen. REALLY???

The laptop is currently a useless paper weight.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I am way beyond frustrated. I got tired of waiting and forced a reboot. Now the screen is stuck at 35%. Booting into Safe Mode was useless as well, as it won't get past the message screen.

A google search finds that this is a common Win 7 problem with no solution available.  >:(

I recall clean installing Windows 7 on a couple of systems and having to wait nearly 24 hours for the stuck updates to go through.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I managed to do a System Restore, despite Windows telling me that the restore was unsuccessful. After a lot of stress, I'm back into Windows.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That is certainly frustrating.  I haven't seen any of those difficulties win either of my Win 7 installs.  I am wondering if being a laptop has anything to do with this.  I haven't had either of my laptops out or on in several years, maybe I will see if I can find the Sony with Win 7.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit