Forgot your password?

Network Printer Blues

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

After changing out my router, I began having problems with my Brother network printer. It took plenty of troubleshooting to eventually get the printer going, just to have it quit on me again. To exasperate the problem, I kept getting "ghost" printers listed. I finally went into the registry and deleted every printer instance listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers. After a reboot, I reinstalled the printer once more.

This finally resolved the problem, hopefully once and for all. All the phantom printers are gone as well.

Scuzzy; lost and confused, but not defeated.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Tried it both ways. Each time the printer would work for awhile and then stop. Then came the phantom printers.

The printer is currently on a USB cable to the router. I'll set it up as wireless when I get time. For now, it's working.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I have not reconnected the CellSpot router. It won't be until next week before I can mess with it.

The problem started when I connected the backup ASUS router. The printer software was installed for the CellSpot router, and things started to conflict. The phantom printers were caused by the multiple installation attempts, and deleting them from Devices and Printers wasn't working. The registry hack fixed the problem.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I removed the USB printer cable from the router. I then cleared out everything printer-related in 'Devices and Printers' on each computer, as well from each registry. After rebooting, I manually connected to the printer via wireless on each computer. It's now working perfectly, even after multiple reboots.

Scuzzy; now if I can just figure out how to disconnect my brai...