Forgot your password?

Words too hard to spell

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Connosewer. Connosure. Dang it... Connoisseur. It's a word designed for expert spellers.

I took a criminal case a few years ago at a local church. When I asked for the name of the church the pastor answered, "Holy Moly Me Oh My Presbyterian Church." He then proceeded to spell Presbyterian. I'm guessing a lot of people get that one wrong and are burning in h*ll for it.

Ambidextrous is one that I can spell wrong with either side of my brain.

I often have to spell "schizophrenic" in my reports and it always gives me fits. It usually causes "behavioral" problems. Arrgh.

Whoever came up with "paraphernalia" was probably smoking pot at the time.

Reconnaissance normally requires surveying a dictionary for answers.

Leprechaun is too big a word to describe such a small person. And it's hard to spell.

Idiosyncrasy is a peculiar word.

Whoever came up with "impugn" should be held responsible.

"Pair" is apparently very hard. It's often misspelled as pari, which is short for parakeet. Or shorts for parakeets.

Scuzzy; hardly omniscient of the facts.
Next will be words too hard to pronounce.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

It's unusual I'd botch a four letter word; usually I'm pretty conversant with those.

I found I type phonetically, and of course go off track with homonyms. Homophones. Not sure why that changed, over the years. Not that there's anything wrong, with that.  "Its/It's" is still the most frequently "mispelled" word, by the usage intended.

Ace; any word we acquired from the French is going to give us trouble; especially pari.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Homonyms are words that are spelled the same and pronounced the same but with different meanings.
Homophones are pronounced the same, regardless of their spelling. I think.

Bill, and bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit