Forgot your password?

ASUS RT-AX3000 WiFi 6 Router

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

My new ASUS RT-AX3000 WiFi 6 router arrived yesterday, and I had it up and running in short order.

The software was easy enough for my needs, and the advanced features are actually advanced (unlike TP-Link). For now my network is again fully functional, but I'll likely buy another ASUS to experiment with a mesh network. The TP-Link will be returned later today.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

You planning on a 2nd AX3000 or the earlier version we were using?  You think it matters?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I ordered the tried and true ASUS AC1900 router to use as a mesh node, on sale for $119.99 at the time of this writing. It will hopefully arrive NLT 12/29/20.

The old ASUS RT-N66R that I'm currently using as a repeater doesn't support AiMesh, and I didn't want to fork out another $180 for a second AX3000 just to use it as a node. I'm not using WiFi 6 in the foreseeable future anyway, and certainly not for the guest network. Truth is that had the AC1900 been on sale last week I would have bought two of them, one as the main router and the other as node. Right now the new AX3000 is working perfectly, so I'll just leave well-enough alone.

I spoke to my son-in-law yesterday about the problems he was having with his ASUS AC1900 routers. He explained that a firmware update and changing some settings permanently resolved the issues, and AiMesh now works seamlessly throughout his home.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That's a good idea, I will check for new firmware.  99% of the time my AC1900 works fine. So it could really be a Netflix volume problem.  But let's see......
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Take a look in the ASUS settings for Adaptive QoS, and then click the QoS tab. You'll find an option for Media Streaming optimizing, which may help resolve Netflix issues.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I will have a look at QoS, I checked earlier but no new firmware.

QoS now active for TV streaming. Thanks for that. I will let you know what......

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

"I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings." - Tom Petty

On top of the AC1900 I ordered that will arrive tomorrow, last night I also ordered a renewed AC1900P (faster CPU than AC1900) for $79.99 from Amazon. This will allow me to create a 3-router mesh system in my home. However...

Apparently my plan will work, but with drawbacks. Despite previously looking for online advice on setting up AiMesh, today I came across AiMesh Review: ASUS's Ongoing Journey to Excellent Wi-Fi Coverage. This self help review provided excellent insight on doing AiMesh the right way. I won't bore you with details, as you can go through the lengthy article yourself if you want. But in short:

1. It's best if every router is the same model, especially when setting up a wireless-based mesh.
2. Tri-band (more $$$) gives the best performance for wireless-based AiMesh, as the 3rd band gets dedicated for the backhaul.
3. For wire-based (LAN) AiMesh, dual-band models make most sense.
4. Unless every router supports WiFi 6, all routers will revert to WiFi 5 in an AiMesh system.

I also learned from my SIL that firmware updates work much better if all routers are the same model. He said that he only has to update his main router, and the same-model node automatically updates as well. This is not possible when using different models.

My new AX3000 is dual band. I also will be using LAN-based AiMesh, as the wiring is already in place. I will at some point use WiFi 6, so disabling WiFi 6 by mixing models is not ideal. The AC1900 and AC1900P will be returned unopened for a full refund, and right after I poast this I will order a second AX3000. A third one may be ordered down the line as needs (and wallet) dictate.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Logic seems like the right way to go, although my grasp of the technology leaves me grasping. But it's something you have talked about frequently.  I hope you get it sorted.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Right after poasting, the AC1900 that I was expecting tomorrow arrived. I'm leaving home shortly to get it back en route to Amazon. I was not able to cancel the AC1900P in time, so it will have to be returned as well. It's scheduled to arrive this Thursday, the same day as the second AX3000 that I just ordered.

Time will tell, but I think I made a good choice.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I really hope the whole house effect is worth all the effort and expense.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Thanks. The new AX3000 arrives today, and I have high hopes that it will bring it all together. It will be nice to have a single SSID throughout the entire house. I've boned up very well on setting up AiMesh, and I expect it will go flawlessly. :)

Scuzzy; crossing my I's and dotting my T's.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

All right then~`.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

All went well with the new router. Setting up the AiMesh was just a little time consuming to ensure everything was right, however the process was quite simple.

Both routers are ASUS AX3000 models. One is set up as the main router (north end of house), and the second is set up as AiMesh node (south end). Both are on the upper level and on opposite ends of the house, and are wired together through Ethernet. Mesh coverage throughout the house is quite good, including in the basement, but there is one issue that I have to live with for the time being...

ASUS does not support a guest network on AiMesh; at least not yet. The primary wireless mesh network reaches the entire house without issues, but the guest network is strictly through the main router. In short, the guest network is weak on the south end of the house and has some dead spots. I'm making the best of it for now, but ASUS recently began rolling out firmware on select routers to support guest networks on AiMesh. My routers are not yet supported, but hopefully it won't be long.

There are no adjustments or settings for me to make (or even access) on the router set as node. The only thing I can do is update the firmware, and that's done through the primary router. Worked like a charm during setup.

As you can see in the screenshot below, I already have 20 clients running off the network, and it will likely double in the next few days.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Well I see the number but I don't understand it. How could the 4 of you each have 5 connections or each of you with 4 connections and several TVs? You are way over "tech-ed"

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

We have a large household, which includes an adult daughter. She alone has 5 connected items: Laptop, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, and Nintendo Switch

The remainder of the 4,200 sq ft, 6-bedroom house has multiple connected items. Several TVs, Roku units, Alexa, computers, tablets, laptops, smartphones, wireless home phone, wireless printer, etc. My daughter's boyfriend also has 3 tech items that connect to the network each time he walks in the door.

Scuzzy; it all adds up.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Geez, well I guess the boyfriend is OK but he has to leave his devices turned off and outside. LOL

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The latest firmware (ver 3.0.0.4.386_41700) now allows for the guest network SSID to be fully supported by AiMesh. In other words, the guest network SSID is now fully broadcast and supported by the main router and all of the nodes. Previous to this change, only the main network was supported by the nodes.

I am very pleased (so far) by the two RT-AX3000 routers. My house is mostly well covered with the two units, but I will likely add a third once we get a TV for my wife's workout area in the basement. The two I currently have are connected via Ethernet, and it will be the same for the third unit.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I guess that's good news.  Nice that it's sooner rather than later.