Date: 29 March 24, 02:41 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

T-Mo sale

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

My 6T seems like it's battery is dying quickly.  Pixel 4 and 4 XL are on sale for $ 399 and 499.  I may go look.

Edit: I did a live chat with T-mo and cleared the cache and rebooted. We'll see if that helps overnight before I buy a new Pixel.

Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Those are very good prices, but a common complaint in reviews is the battery size. I don't think it's terrible from what I gather, other than reviewers stating that it should have been much better. When I'm on my Harley I need to be able to see my phone, and the Pixel 4's sunlight performance is dismal. Anyway, hopefully you'll get the 6T problem resolved and none of this will matter.

I'll be looking for a new phone later this year, and my wife will be looking even sooner. I'm frustrated at the market's insistence on making phones as big as possible. I really like my Note 9, but at times I find myself hating its massive footprint. My next phone will definitely be smaller, if I can find a decent phone that doesn't measure the screen size in football fields. The new Samsung Galaxy S20 phones are up to 6.9". WHY???

I'll also never own another curved-edge screen if I have the option. Worst gimmick ever.

I hate to say it, but I may consider an iPhone XS (5.8" screen) next time around. Maybe. Or maybe I'll kick myself in the ass and continue to search for a decent Android phone that doesn't require a VESA mount. Our 3 daughters have iPhones and my wife will almost certainly switch as well. Apple's smartwatches set the standard (Android watches are a complete joke), and I understand that the iPhone's automobile integration is far superior to that of Android.

This eye-opening ArsTechnica Pixel 4 review is rather long, but probably worth the read.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks for the article, it has similar observations to one From Tom's Hardware. They highlighted the poor outdoor viewing and equally poor battery.

Fortunately whatever was eating my battery has been corrected.  Overnight my battery loss was about 2%  compared to the 2 days before that were about a 50% loss.
Overall the 6T has been a good investment.  My only complaint has to do with sizing photos, and I guess I can live with that. But as a phone, it performs well.  And T-Mo continues to shine. Better performance at $50/mo vs. VZ at $130+/-.

The 6T daylight performance is pretty decent, I'd go with the 7T rather than the iPhone.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Sounds like good news. I hope it's a permanent fix.

I considered the 7T, but its 6.55" screen is a put-off. That's bigger than my Note's 6.4" screen. Doesn't it also have a curved-edge screen? If so, there is no chance I would buy one. My ideal phone will have a 6" or smaller screen, with bezels thin enough that the phone will be easily pocketable.

I'm not eager to get an iPhone, and it's merely a consideration if my wife switches over. But I am fully sick and tired of massive, curved-edge screens regardless of who makes it. Samsung can also shove Bixby up its caboose.

In case you missed it: Judge approves T-Mobile-Sprint merger

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I feel that way about all the "personal assistants."  If Moto or someone developed a "flip phone" that does email and text I'd buy that.  Phones that get large enough to be mini tablets are of no use to me.  The 6T is as big as I will go.  And the thought of learning the iPhone O/S is daunting.

I had recently added an app named Hiya which is a call monitoring and spam blocking solution. It works very well but maybe something came with it.  But cleaning the cache seems to have solved the issue. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

T-Mo uses STIR/SHAKEN technology to identify and block spam calls, and I'd be surprised if your 6T isn't supported. I believe that by default it only identifies "scam likely" calls, but you can block them all together free of charge by dialing #662# on your phone.

Once in a great while I'll get a valid number tagged as scam, but for the most part it's accurate. Twice it blocked numbers in my contact list (2 of my daughters, both on T-Mobile), but that hasn't happened in over a year.

More here: Over 3.5 Billion Blocked …

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think we have discussed that before.  I will try it,maybe again.  Seems to be processing the request.  Seems OK. If this works, I will remove the Hiya app, its a bit of an annoyance.