Date: 28 March 24, 23:55 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Cannot update Windows 10 from version 1909 to version 20H2

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I get the message that my computer is compatible with version 20H2. I get the prep stage up to the 100 percent point, I allow restart of the computer, but then nothing further happens

I would appreciate any possible solutions to my problem

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

If I recall, MS released a fix or two that required installation prior to the update. I would go through and make sure that all other updates are performed first. Once you've verified that all updates are current, then give it another try. If it still doesn't work, let me know and we'll go from there.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Windows 10 updates are all in place and a screen encourages me to update to Version 20H2. That's where I began every attempt

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Hmm. That normally resolves the problem, but not always. The other way is to do a manual installation using Microsoft's Media creation tool. If that also fails, then the ISO method will be your only option.

This link below is for pretty much the same problem you're having, and the fix is clearly laid out and detailed. It also includes the link for the Media creation tool.

I cannot update Windows version 1909 to 20H2

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Before today I could not get the Troubleshoot for Windows Update to work at all

Today it seemed to work okay. It started "checking for pending restart" for 10 min, then said "resolving problems" for 10 min, then said "problems found" and "try attempting the task you were trying to do before"

Since downloading Windows 20H takes several hours, it may take me a couple of days before I find time to monitor that process. I will report what happens then

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Several hours? If all is working properly, it should only take about 30 mins from start to finish.

The site I mentioned had a section for troubleshooting Windows Update. Is that what you used to get it going, or did it just work on its own?

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Using Windows 10 Update Assistant I get a message that my computer is compatible with update to Version 20H2. Then the "Get Ready" stage proceeds to 100% complete. Then computer is restarted but nothing happens.

Using Windows Media Creation Tool I get the exact same result.

I tried going to Microsoft Store and downloading from there but could not find appropriate program.

This update to link you mentioned :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-update-windows-version-1909-to-20h2-when/9475fc38-3bc7-47b8-8e40-4fe9e3aa62c1?page=2

seems to indicate that many problems updating to 20H2 are still there as of April 2020. I wonder if Microsoft will eventually issue a simple correction for this problem?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been doomed in Windows upgrade-hell more than once, so I know the feeling. Unfortunately, until Microsoft actually thinks this is important enough to fix, you may be stuck.

The only workaround I can think of is to do a whole new Windows installation, or at minimum an iso upgrade. However, I don't know if the upgrade is worth that much effort. I have 20H2 installed, but have noticed zero difference from v1909. I would think you're better off just waiting for MS to get off of their duffel bag and resolve this.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I hope MS fixes this before some "cut off" date. I appreciate and will follow your advise. It's so infuriating that MS didn't provide a "you can't do this yet" warning. I will try to send them a feedback message re this. Thanks again