Forgot your password?

TP-Link AX3000 Router

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I won't go into too much detail, other than to confirm that my ASUS AC1900 router bit the dust yesterday. Two hours of troubleshooting got me nowhere, and doing a factory reset (including a 30/30/30 reset) accomplished nothing. The router is fully dead and officially downgraded to a fancy paperweight.

I spent a lot of time today looking for another ASUS router, but I get the impression that ASUS is swimming in the toilet. My son-in-law has been struggling with his two ASUS AC1900 routers, and he will gladly confirm that ASUS support is useless. I instead opted for this TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 router, but I bought it through my daughter using her employee discount. We placed the order 5 minutes ago and I'll pick it up tomorrow from a local store. The total price was all of $129.56, including tax.

Hopefully I'll have the new network up and running by the end of the day tomorrow.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I am glad to hear you may have found an alternative, I hope it works as desired.  I will be anxious to hear how you make out.
BTW my ASUS is showing signs of faltering with the wireless service for the TV.  I am experiencing inconsistent performance but I can't tell if it's the router or Netflix being over-whelmed with volume. No plan to upgrade until the current one dies. It's not that old, Oct 5, 2019.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I picked up the new router late yesterday and will hopefully have it up and running today, as I first have to register it with my ISP after it's connected.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The TP-Link is currently installed and running fine, but it's going to be returned for a refund. This is a really good router, especially for someone who simply wants something that works and installs easily. It looks good, it works as expected, and it sends out a strong signal. Great, right? The problem is that it's not for power users.

Suffice it to say that I am spoiled by ASUS's software, especially the Quality of Service settings. The QoS settings in this TP-Link work fine, but they are very basic and limiting to the point of being frustrating. It's pretty much an on/off feature that does not allow for tweaking of devices.  I can only set bandwidth (across the board), priority devices, and nothing else.

The TP-Link also will not allow me to name any of the devices, so I'm stuck with cryptic descriptions on the user list. BTW, I can only see 5 devices per page. WTH??? What idiot thought that was a good idea? I have a household-boat-load of devices that connect to my network. Multiple computers, laptops, smart TV's, Roku units, Alexa, tablets and smartphones out the wazoo quickly become a confusing mess.

In the same related complaint, TP-Link will absolutely not allow me to control the speed access to my guest network. My only option is through the all-or-nothing QoS settings. That means any guest is allowed the highest available speed whether I like it or not. This becomes a major issue when I have a lot of people on my guest network. With ASUS I can easily throttle the guest network. It might not matter as much if I had a 100Mbps+ internet plan, but such is not the case.

Truth be told, compared to ASUS the TP-Link "Advanced" features are anemic. I just ordered an ASUS RT-AX3000 router from Amazon. Hopefully I'll have it in hand by Tuesday. Wish me luck.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

New router sounds great, I hope it lives up to the hype.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The TP-Link is running exceptionally well. It's running so well that I hate to return it. The hardware side of this modem is great, but the software (I think) is written for less-technical people. Yet, just a few years ago I would have thought this was the greatest router ever.

It looks like the new ASUS router will arrive this Wednesday. Meantime, the TP-Link is plugging along.

Scuzzy; ASUS better not let me down.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I hope they didn't ship it USPS, I have tracking data for a package shipped last Monday that the P.O. has no record of except the creation of a label.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Was it through Amazon? I recently had the same problem. After a week of being in limbo I called Amazon to complain. I explained the problem, and the rep canceled the order and issued a refund. I reordered the product and got it a couple days later.

Amazon has their own delivery service out of Colo Spgs, which I have found to be consistently good. Recently they've had occasional delays, no doubt due to the holiday rush. However, most deliveries have been on time or even a day early. The only real exception was my wife's Samsung S20 FE phone, which arrived about 10 days late. No big deal, since it sat on my desk over a week before she switched over to the new phone. Lol

Amazon also has a new warehouse in construction by the Colo Spgs airport.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Having a local warehouse should be a big deal. I have one in NC and anything from there is always next day.
My USPS problem was a direct from company purchase. This morning USPS says delivery will be 12/24, a new hat for Bill.
I have one other package coming I bought from an alpacka farm, a small throw for my recliner that seems lost in transit but I don't have any shipping or tracking data. Just have to be patient......

Edit: USPS lied, as late as 6:00 pm yesterday. Email notice from USPS said delivery would be late but coming last night. It didn't, no new info this morning, but it is Christmas.  Better be here tomorrow.  Or I'll...what?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Funny that now I'm having that problem in reverse. I dropped off a return at a local UPS store on 12/23/2020, and then left with a receipt. The tracking is currently showing "Label created," followed by, "When the shipment arrives at our facility the delivery date will be updated."

Scuzzy; of course.