Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No, not with Netflix. The QoS settings seem to have solved that problem.
My newest issue, I think, is the result of a SONY TV software update. Frequently now when I turn on the TV it's as if it has been rebooted and goes through the startup process, after that all seems fine.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No I haven't started to tackle this issue yet.  Trying to get anything from SONY is a useless effort. But maybe google........
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Google suggests, for an earlier version TV, that this is a weak power supply in the TV, or a weak power feed.  I have the TV plugged into a multi outlet surge suppressor.  I changed the outlet for the TV yesterday.  I think it highly unlikely that the power cord itself is the problem.  I have not had the reboot symptom since. 
I will continue to monitor this....

Also last night the wi-fi issue came back but there were local reports of internet access issues so I rebooted the router, just ot be sure, and all was well.  Internet this morning is fine so we'll see tonight how this plays out.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I guess something always has to be difficult. When we were young it was fighting with rabbit ear antennas, worn out tubes, and the horizontal hold. Not to mention having to walk to the TV to change channels.

Scuzzy; not that I mentioned it.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Seems the change in outlets made a difference.  No problems at all last night for about 4 hours.  I have had the TV on and off maybe 6 times in the last 12 hours and no rebooting issues at all.
But kind of strange....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That is odd, but it does appear to be a voltage problem. I'm guessing there's no recall? If the problem returns, a UPS with automatic voltage regulation (AVR) may be in order. The AVR feature is important, since your TV seems sensitive to minor voltage drops and irregularities. Both of my desktop computers are connected to AVR power supplies; one CyberPower and one APC.

CyberPower probably offers the best value, at least when compared to APC:

CyberPower AVRG750LCD (with LCD)

CyberPower AVRG750U (without LCD) - I'm using an older version of this unit (850VA AVR), and it has been awesome.

15+ years ago I had a low-end CyberPower UPS that worked great, but there was no way to shut off the alarm during a blackout. I finally disassembled the unit and physically cut the alarm.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No recall for this TV, although there have been others.  The UPC is a good idea to manage what are probably minor voltage variations.  I will do that if this problem pops back up, but at the moment it has vanished.
Thanks for your thoughts.

EDIT: I have sorted this problem, I think.  The TV is on the same wall as the front door, and the power outlet is 4-5 ft away from the door.  Closing the door firmly sends a small vibration through the wall and if the plug is not solidly in the outlet it could have caused the voltage fluctuation.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm happy that you may have found the root cause. If that is indeed the problem, then a new outlet is in order.

Many track home builders use the cheapest of supplies, and my builder was not the exception. My home remains loaded with dime-a-dozen outlets and switches that randomly fail. When I buy replacements, I always look for commercial-grade quality.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Problem in this case was the electrical contractor, not the builder.  In any event, the surge protector has 6 outlets, two of them empty.  I went through a period when I was rebooting the TV frequently and it's very possible I didn't replug securely.  Moving to a different outlet has solved the problem.