Forgot your password?

New Hutch and Monitors

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

So I'm strongly considering a couple monitor upgrades, as well as a new hutch for my computer desk.

I have the original hutch that came with my desk. It has done the job just fine over the years, but I always wished for something better. The current design greatly limits anything of a large monitor upgrade, and the storage/cubby areas come across as an afterthought. Never being able to find anything to my liking, I decided the only way to get what I want is to build it myself. Attached below is a draft of what I'm thinking. I plan to "back" the monitor cubby area with a painted wooden flag, and I plan to install my own speakers and separate amp.

I have not decided on (a) specific monitor(s) yet, but I'm leaning toward a pair of 25-inch 2K monitors (2560 x 1440), or possibly a single 27-inch 2K. I might even consider a single 32-inch monitor in the 4K range (3840x2160). Anyway, if I decide on a pair of 25-inchers it will be something like this BenQ PD2500Q. My intent is to buy an identical pair at the same time. Nothing is firm, as I've barely started scratching at the surface of this idea.

I'll make sure the final size of the monitor cubby is plenty large for whatever monitor(s) I decide on. I plan to "float" the monitor cubby about 4 inches above the desktop to further free up space. I'll also add a long tray across the front of the monitor shelf to display some of the commemorative coins I've collected over the years. I offset the monitor cubby to the left in order to match the offset seating area (not something that was taken into consideration with the original symmetrical design).

The top section of the hutch will be to display some of my collectibles and souvenirs. The bottom of the hutch will be open, utilizing the desktop in place of a shelf.

Dimensions are approximate:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Well that's impressive.  You've heard the phrase: you can't have too many guns; also applies to desk space.

You know I am a big fan of dual monitors, I believe they offer much greater flexibility than a single, regardless of how big it is.  By way of example, my right side monitor is my primary. The left side monitor always has T-bird open and Firefox open with a couple of tabs working.  On the right, Chrome is open and is used primarily for online activity, surfing, research  etc. At the moment, I am typing here on my right monitor, but on the left is Market Watch, a live bear cam I follow and a banking tab.  I think a single screen would look cluttered.

I am really glad you're considering  IPS panels, that technology makes a noticeable difference in viewing quality. You should also ensure whatever you select has a forward tilt ability as well as height adjustments.

Planning on a dedicated amp, allows you to use regular AV speakers, not typical computer speakers.  You might want to consider a small sub-woofer under the desk.  In terms of the hutch, I'd lose the two shelves under the designated speaker compartments.  The area you set aside for the speakers is not tall enough, IMO. And you should allow space to angle them toward your chair  Bookcase speakers using regular speaker wire will also solve the "short wire" problem.  The pair of Creative speakers I have barely have enough wire between them to allow a left/right placement.

I am assuming you are going to eliminate the keyboard drawer in this process and put the keyboard on top of the desk.  When I was designing my own desk, I discovered that the typical office desk is 30" high.  The optimal typing height is 28".  I'd consider cutting the legs on your desk to achieve the 28" height.  It might feel awkward at first but becomes very natural quickly.

But so far, looks great.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm leaning toward 2 monitors for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I like the idea of "V-ing" two separate monitors toward the user. That is my current setup, and it makes it easier to use the secondary monitor on my right. Actually, my current hutch does not allow me to set this up any other way. Regardless, I will still consider a single monitor if it meets my needs. Thanks for reminding me of the forward tilt. That is certainly important.

Great advice on the speakers, thanks. I will keep that in mind. But I was thinking of permanently mounting a pair of high quality, automotive-type speakers into the speaker cubbies (which will be sound insulated), along with a subwoofer under the desk, and then running my own wiring to a small, easily accessible amp. I have some electronics experience and could put that to good use.

The keyboard tray will likely stay in place, at least for now. It's not an ideal setup either, but it gets the job done. The desktop height is 29", but it cannot be trimmed lower as the desk sides are solid. My preference is to keep the desktop full open anyway. I imagine the day will come that I will make my own desk as well.

All of this started with a project one of my buddies (a detective) recently did for his desk at work. He also has good carpentry skills and he quickly threw this together to improve his workstation:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Probably a premature question, but what kind of connection is there between the mobo and the amp?  it's been a while since I looked at amps. 

EDIT: specs on your M/B says it has a TOS output option; that's probably the answer.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

TOS is an option, but the 3.5mm jack (audio out) would be an option as well.

I got to thinking that I have heard some incredibly impressive soundbars. Something like this TaoTronics Sound Bar (34.5" x 3.4" x 2.6") could be a good fit under the monitor cubby. It doesn't sport a subwoofer, but some of the soundbars I've listened to sound incredible without one anyway. Or I could look for a 2.1 soundbar, like this MEGACRA Sound Bar with Sub (28" x 2.9" x 3.2").

We'll see, as I have plenty of options at the moment. Powered speakers, such as this Edifier R1700BT (8.35" x 9.1" x 9.84"), is not totally out of the equation. Whatever I decide on, it has to sound great and be easily accessible.