Date: 18 April 24, 12:49 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

cases and covers

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I sure there is a tread somewhere.... You know a lot more about this stuff, do you think the UAG cases are worth $30 - 40 vs. a clear case on Amazon for $9. I'm going to order the blue mini, I think black has gotten boring. And if I do I'd like to not cover it completely.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I used the UAG Plasma series "Ice" on both my Note 5 and my Note 9, and I absolutely loved the cases. They offer solid protection and feel very nice in hand without excess bulk (compared to OtterBox Defender series). I dropped my phones several times over the years, and the Plasma cases did well. They are a bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Veronica also has one on her Samsung Galaxy S9, but unfortunately her screen cracked the first time she dropped it. However, I do not blame the case so much as the miserable design of the phone. Her S9 has a curved-edge screen, so no case can completely protect the edge. When she dropped the phone, it landed screen-side-down on the edge of concrete steps. Since the case could not possibly protect the edge of the screen, it cracked.

I was not at all happy with the UAG tempered glass screen protector, though. It's too expensive, it did not adhere well on the sides of the iPhone SE screen, and it did not come with an alignment tool. I put a Spigen screen protector on the Pixel 5 (only to ensure zero screen scratches in case I have to return it), and it was a perfect fit. The Spigen was much cheaper, came with two protectors, and it had an alignment tool. The Spigen's tempered glass screen protector adheres so well on the Pixel 5 that you have to look carefully to know it's there.

Amazon currently has the UAG Plasma Ice for $34.95 if you click the $5 coupon. In one of the photos you can see the Ice case is mostly clear. The Plasma is also available in Mallard if that's more to your liking. If you prefer a case with a solid look, then there's the UAG Pathfinder in Mallard for the same discounted price.

As of this writing, UAG does not have any cases for the Pixel 5, and only one for the Pixel 4a. I don't particularly care for their "Scout" series, so I went with a much cheaper Spigen case on Amazon. It's not as nice as UAG, but it will suffice. One thing I'll miss about iPhone is the nearly infinite choice in accessories.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks very much. I ordered the UAG Ice case in Mallard.

I have trouble with just the bulky look of the UAG cases and changed my order to a Spigen with a tempered glass back.
Half the price and seems sleeker, I also need it to fit in the pouch in my bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BGD4HTH/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2SFKRF5TPZMT5
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

As long as it works for you, then it's all good. I wouldn't think twice about going back to the UAG Plasma series, but at the moment it's not an option for me.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

You were right about the UAG cases. Mine arrived this morning, with the exception of the batches of orange border it fills the bill.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I started with a Spigen but thought it looked cheap and ugly.  I chose a UAG Civilian, I missed the colored boarder. However, the color on the boarder shows which end is top. It's not terribly noticeable nor particularly distasteful, certainly I can live with it.  But the differences between the two is night and day, the UAG being more substantial.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Agreed, Spigen cases are boring. Unfortunately I have few decent choices for my 4a, and only one choice at UAG (the Scout). Unlike the iPhone 12 Mini, which gets a dozen UAG case designs.

I bought a Poetic Guardian case for when I'm on the Harley, but decided to leave the case on all the time. It provides significantly better protection than the Spigen at the cost of additional bulk. It has a raised front lip that offers great screen protection, but often interferes with gestures that are close to the edge. I may try the UAG Scout anyway.

EDIT: You unknowingly talked me into the UAG Scout case. Lol. It will arrive Saturday.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Good luck. I hope it works.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I should have gone with UAG from the get-go. I would have preferred the Plasma series, but the Scout is head and shoulders above everything else out there. It looks and feels like a quality case, and it gives my Pixel 4a phone a genuinely premium feel. The UAG is a keeper, and the others are going back.