Date: 29 March 24, 05:25 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

wifi speed

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Last night I was having difficulty watching Netflix with slow wifi speeds. I used my T6 to test at it registered download at 1.5 mbps. The TV was less.
This afternoon the download speed on the phone is 46mbps.  Why am I seeing these wild fluctuations?   And is there any thing to be done?

BTW last night I rebooted FIOS modem and the router.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

When you tested the speed on your T6, was the smartphone's Wi-Fi enabled? I'm looking to confirm that you were testing your home's Wi-Fi through your smartphone.

In my home, I too get unusual fluctuations in the download speeds. I can watch Netflix days at a time with no problem, then one night it becomes unwatchable with no rhyme or reason. Once in awhile rebooting the antenna and router will help, but more often than not I have to wait on the problem to get resolved through my ISP. On rare occasion I have to call my ISP's tech support.

You want to know what's ironically funny? My internet went completely down while writing this reply.

My internet came back up after being down about 10 minutes. I'm paying for 25MB, but it is very rarely in that speed range. More often it's at 6MB to 8MB, which is where it is now. Sadly I have extremely few choices where I live. There is no viable competition here, and my ISP knows it.

I'm really looking forward for this to be available in my area, especially once 5G speeds hit the market: T-Mobile Home Internet pilot test begins...

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes wifi is enabled, every so often the message pops up on a darkened screen "calls will be made on wifi" or something very close. And, the settings page says its on.
Could it simply be a repetitive need to reboot the wireless system?   It is really a PITA.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I have not had Wi-Fi enabled on my smartphone since installing the CellSpot signal booster, but I used to get the "calls on Wi-Fi" notification once in awhile before my phone was updated to Android Pie. However, before my phone was updated I recall a Wi-Fi phone icon in the upper left. It is no longer there with Pie.

Forgive me, but I'm not following if your frustration is with your smartphone or with your home's internet connection.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Sorry, my frustration is with the network speed.  Trying to watch Netflix and particularly Netflix HD is impossible with the crippled wifi speed. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I understand the frustration. If this is an ongoing problem, then it's probably time to call your ISP to have them resolve the problem.

Just a thought for a little troubleshooting...

Does rebooting the system work all of the time? If so, try rebooting only the modem and then check network speeds. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then reboot only the router and note the results. This should help to narrow where the problem lies, and then you can take the next logical step from there.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, good logical thoughts.  I'll try next time I have the problem, last night was perfect. Two nights post reboot.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I haven't had the problem since I poasted originally.  Random speed tests have all been about 50 up and down.   I'm waiting for some difficulty.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop